PDA

View Full Version : Power down with XP

18-04-2002, 02:16 PM
When my friends recently upgraded (to XP) comp shuts down it shows the 'It is now safe to turn off your comp' screen. How do you make it power off instead?

Cheers

G P

18-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Is it an ATX style PC?

It may need a BIOS update.

Have had this problem on older PC's (ATX) with W2K and updating the BIOS fixed it, if there was an update available from motherboard maker.

18-04-2002, 02:40 PM
What sort of box does he have ie AT or ATX?

If it's AT, I think that the problem he has at the moment will always occur.

If not, sorry but I do not know a work around and we will need to wait for the geeks to reply.

Bryan

18-04-2002, 02:41 PM
Sorry! Forgot to also say to check the BIOS and make sure that Power Saving feature is enabled.

18-04-2002, 07:11 PM
If it has a soft switch ie no difference between on and off and you have an ATX m/b as above, you might.

If the power switch is a hard switch that needs you to push it, in order for it to go in or out(on or off) you probably can't.

19-04-2002, 02:01 AM
Lets assume your not an idiot for a second.

If your freind has installed WinXP with no ACPI installed (maybe he disabled it in the bios, or prevented WinXP installing it by holding F7 during setup) then it won't turn off automatically.

All hope is not lost! there is a very simple fix for this:
Go to control panel, power options, and I think it is under the advanced tab, if you don't have ACPI installed you will see a check box with something like 'use APM for power management'.

Check this check box and it should work. if it still doesn't work, see one of the above answers.