PDA

View Full Version : HardDrive Partitioning

18-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Just about to turn on new system but not sure to use Raid0 or Raid1 and how partitioning would work. I fancy w: for windows; P: for Programs and s: for Storage. Would this work and is it practical using Raid0-stipe?
And do I use Fdisk ?
OS= win98
Suggestions please

18-04-2002, 01:48 PM
what size drives? what raid card?

uae raid0 if you want speed and max amount of space. use raid1 for redundancy, but its slower and you lose half the space.

if you havn't put anything on the drive then you can use fdisk to parition. note- drive letters will be for example c,d,e,f. the size and how many partitions depend on the size of the drive and how you intend to use it.

18-04-2002, 05:59 PM
I get the impression from your posting that your experience with computers is very limited.

If that is the case, I suggest that you allow the installation programme to make a totally standard setup.

Use it for a while and find out what you need to do. Then do a reinstallation, with partitioning, raid, and anything else you want.

Partitioning has to be done right. People get into trouble doing it. Experienced people get into trouble doing it.

Make it work first. Then the second time, you can get it better. But get some experience of the 'simple' setup first. If it suits you, don't 'fix' it.

19-04-2002, 10:33 AM
Without a doubt you should partition your new hard drive. I strongly recommend that you get PartitionMagic by PowerQuest. It will become your best friend. It will not allow you to stuff up, but there is plenty to learn. To that end, PowerQuest help files are most informative, giving an overview of how hard disks work, how Windows allocates drive letters, etc. Some of these help files are PDF so you will need AcrobatReader to view them.

P H