PDA

View Full Version : Can PC Jpegs be seen on a Mac?

18-04-2002, 09:29 AM
A friend who has a Mac wants me to take some digital photos of their new house being built. I have a PC and she has a Mac. If I burn a CD on my PC with the jpeg images, will she be able to see them and download them onto her computer? Thanks - I am not sure just what is compatible on a Mac... how about text documents such as .txt or .doc or .rtf ?

18-04-2002, 09:53 AM
Yes...your pictures will be viewable as will .txt and .rtf documents word docs should be but from experience sometimes they aren't...for no apparent reason.

A mac can read a pc formatted disc but not vice versa....this is all dependant on the age of the mac and the OS it is running as well.

Sometimes to get a mac to read a PC disc you need to hold down a series of keys as you insert the CD....

these are:

control, option, apple and I

and yes it does look funny as people try and hold all 4 keys and put in a CD.......

HTH

18-04-2002, 09:56 AM
Shouldn't be a problem, generic file formats like jpg, doc, rtf, etc are generally interchangeable between PCs and Macs (just make sure you are using PC formatted disks/CDs, as Macs can read PC disks but not vice versa).

The only problem you *should* get is that the Mac won't pick up what kind of file the files you transfer from the PC are until you actually open them on the Mac with the appropriate program. This is because the Mac uses a different naming convention to the PC, it doesn't know what the file type is until it is opened in the program. The Mac will then record the file type and know what program to use from then on. Of course, if you opened the file from the CD, it won't be able to record this information to the file, therefore you will have to open the file directly from the program each time.

Also, make sure your file names contain no spaces, I suggest replacing any spaces with the underscore (_) symbol. Macs sometimes have problems with spaces in filenames generated by a PC.

Good luck!

18-04-2002, 10:05 AM
Hello Tazzie & Michael... THANKS for the quick replies and detailed info. This PC World site is a great board! Cheers, Steve

19-04-2002, 03:25 PM
I had some one email me jpg pic from a MAC to Outlook on NT and could not read them at all. I tried forwarding them my Hotmailaccount and they were easily readable and I could save them via IE.

Long way round but it worked.