PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Cookies in W/Temporary Int.Files -subfolder 'Content IE5'

18-04-2002, 01:01 AM
I Can clear all Temporary Internet files OK, except the required Index dat file that stays.

All cookies can be deleted from the cookies folder OK.

HOWEVER there is a subfolder in Windows/Temporary Internet files called 'Content IE 5'.

In this folder are 37 other folders with indecipherable names of a mixture of letters and numbers. These all containing masses of cookies, even though Windows 'cookies' folder is cleared of cookies

What is the 'Content IE 5' folder for? I didn't create it. Can I delete all the 37 folders in it containing all the cookies? Can I then delete the the whole 'Content IE 5' folder?

Why are cookies stored in these two separate folders?

Hope someone has the information. Thanks in advance. EC

18-04-2002, 02:11 AM
If you delete the cookies from the IE 5 folder then they will automatically be deleted from all the sub folders and the cookie folder.

Don't delete the IE 5 folder as it is a system folder. I believe that it is safe to delete the sub folders as they are created by the system as required, but I would suggest that you get a second opinion on this.

18-04-2002, 07:23 AM
All those sub folders contain additional info from web sites you have visited.
Don't delete the the main folder itself but everything else in that ie5 folder including all the sub folders can be deleted. The sub folders will be created over the course of time depending on how often you clean it out.

18-04-2002, 09:34 AM
This is the best way to completely kill the files:
(this is for Win9x)

Reboot to DOS (don't open a DOS box in Windoze) and type:

deltree c:\windows\tempor~1

When it goes back to the prompt, just reboot back to Windows.
This will completely delete the temporary internet files folder, including the .dat file.

It will recreate itself the next time you start your browser.

18-04-2002, 09:35 AM
This is the best way to completely kill the files:
(this is for Win9x)

Reboot to DOS (don't open a DOS box in Windoze) and type:

deltree c:\windows\tempor~1

When it goes back to the prompt, just reboot back to Windows.
This will completely delete the temporary internet files folder, including the .dat file.

It will create a new (much smaller) .dat file the next time you start your browser.

18-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Spider does a good job of clearing up internet junk for you. It's free and you can download it here:

http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

Note that even if you don't select the boxes to delete your cookies, temporary internet or history files this program often deletes them anyway, so if they are important to you then don't use Spider.

18-04-2002, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. I have the sort of brain that likes to understand, and I am still a bit confused why the computer has two separate places to store the cookies.

Gordon's reply mentioned the IE5 folder contained additional information about sites visited. What sort of additional information is stored? Does this improve in any way, future connections to the sites, in comparison to the ordinary cookie folder? Sorry to be so curious, just how my brain works. EC

18-04-2002, 09:44 PM
Does this work in Windows Me - if not is there a way to do similar?

:)

James

19-04-2002, 09:35 AM
Incidentally, how did you clear your cookies and temp. internet folders?

The correct way to do it is to close Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, go to Internet Options in the Control Panel and click on Delete Files under the Temporary Internet Files.

Now click on Settings, View Files and then delete your cookies in there.

That's what I've been told. I use Spider myself - far less hassle.

20-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Hi Susan,Internet options is on the tool menu of Internet Explorer, same page as Control panel, deleted from there, no problems. Cookies deleted from Windows explorer, no problems. Just curious about the fact that cookies were still in Temporary Internet files IE5 and what that was, etc. what extra function does that programme have. I had not looked in it before and was surprized with what I found. I like to know about what happens in the computer. I enjoy the way you share your knowledge. EC

28-04-2002, 10:43 PM
Hi EC,

I knew that if I waited long enough the answer would turn up and it has!

Terry Porritt explained about the extra folders today in this thread (at the bottom) in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.idg.net.nz/pcwpressf1/942FC2ADFC111127CC256BA900005210.html

He says:

'The gobbledy-gook folder names in temporary internet files folder are random names generated for security reasons. It's to lessen the chance of an embedded program being run from cache, since the path name to such a program is not easy to specify with a random folder name.( Aknowledgements to Livingston & Straub)'

So now we all know!