PDA

View Full Version : Should I return the computer

16-04-2002, 11:10 PM
I have a computer that is just 4 months old now (running WinXP), and has crashed badly for the fourth time. The first three required 2xComplete reformat of harddrive and 1xReinstallation of Windows requiring most programs to be reinstalled. Is this something that does happen? Or should I be returning the PC to its maker. I wanted to support the PC Company because of NZ owned etc, but now I wonder. Has anyone else had serious probs and returned their PC?

16-04-2002, 11:24 PM
Had the same sort of problem and it turned out to be a bad stick of ram and then the mother board slot for the ram died. Return it and see what they say. If you can get your money back then go for it.

17-04-2002, 10:20 AM
Hard to say, you should get it looked at for sure:

winXP should install ok first time and it 'should not crash'. I have been running it since it came out over here and its one of the most stable editions of windows I have used.

I would be Very surprised to find it was a faulty install causing the problems you mention.

17-04-2002, 11:38 AM
Andrew

I would suggest returning it for them to look at. Might be a bit early to ask for a refund.

Did you do the reinstalls or did they?

robo.

17-04-2002, 01:26 PM
try and exchange it or get a full refund and get one built from stratch most of the large mailorder co tend to try to use cheap as components that bring you grief buy 2nd hand from a gamer upgrading from trademe is a good idea if $$ are a concern .

17-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Each time the computer was returned to the manufacturer to repair the problem. My problem is they reinstall Windows and lose all settings and documents. Docs are backed up, but each time I have to spend at least a week reinstalling and updating antivirus, firewall and drivers for everything. It is just taking too much time from work. I just don't know where to draw the line and say enough is enough.