PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot up

16-04-2002, 10:37 PM
Went to reboot and got message 'Drive not ready- System halted'
Does anybody know what's happening?

16-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Can you post some more detail about your system?

Make sure all of the hdd cables are connected inside the computer, and try autodetectind the drive in your BIOS setup...

17-04-2002, 12:32 PM
Happened to me ages ago using Win98, I entered my BIOS and restored the default factory settings, re-started and went from there, at least then it recognised my drives so I could re-install Win98... hope that helps

17-04-2002, 01:08 PM
IDE cables are usual suspect #1.

On some Intel motherboards, the second IDE device (say your CD Rom drive} on that channel can cause similar probs. The test there is to disconnect the CD from the IDE cable and restart.

Does this only occur from a cold boot? If so then the problem is most likely the latter. (After booting from cold, try pressing the reset button on the box. If it starts OK then the problem is a device conflict on that IDE channel. Move the second device to the other IDE channel).

HTH. Cheers...

17-04-2002, 01:39 PM
I first thought that the problem is in the BIOS as it indicated that there was no primary IDE device. I swapped drives to an old one that I had and it was detected and ran (as well as can be expected). Sooooo, I think the problem lies with the HDD itself. Any ideas? There is a lot of data I would like to have on that drive!