PDA

View Full Version : DIAL UP WINDOW

16-04-2002, 09:22 PM
when ever iam on my computer i get this dial up window pop up
it keeps on comming no matter what . is there anyway i can stop that.

help plze

16-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Chances are there is an application (KaZaA, ICQ, Messenger) trying to access the internet which needs to dial up in order to do so. Try having a look in the task manager to see if there is anything there.

16-04-2002, 10:05 PM
Chances are there is an application (KaZaA, ICQ, Messenger) trying to access the internet which needs to dial up in order to do so. Try having a look in the task manager to see if there is anything there.

16-04-2002, 10:56 PM
Go to IE tools/internet options/advanced and make sure the option to automatically check for IE updates is turned off. Realplayer 5 can also cause this, update to a later version. Otherwise, there is something trying to access the
internet. Do an inventory of your programmes to check for any likely culprits.

Go to start/run and type MSCONFIG. Check the start up tab for any possible culprits.
Also see this link:
Modem Attempts to Dial When Windows Starts
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q175/3/12.asp

16-04-2002, 11:47 PM
The most likely reasons for this problem are:
1- An application which is configured to access the net at set intervals, or when it thinks it necessary to so.
2- Spyware or some other malicious application which is trying access the internet in order to send information about your computer to it's home web site.

As you haven't stated what operating system or programs you are using, I'll assume you're using Internet Explorer & Outlook Express on a Windows 98 or similar system.
The first thing to do is take the tick out of the 'Connect Automatically' box in the dial-up window. This will ensure that you won't be connected to the internet without authorising it first. (For extra security you could also take the tick out of the 'Save Password' box until you locate the offending program)
Next check that Internet Explorer isn't configured to 'Dial whenever an internet connection is not present' (Tools/Internet Options/Connections)as this will activate the dial-up connection if you are viewing pages in Explorer which think they need to go on-line to refresh themselves.
Check that your email is not configured to check for new messages at regular intervals (Tools/Options/General).
Other applications that may try to update themselves on-line automatically include Real Player, Windows Update, Norton's Live Update, Messenger,etc...
Clicking on hyperlinks which are tied to web sites will also trigger a dial up connection. These don't necessarily have to be on web pages or in e-mails, they can also be activated from programs such as Word.

One way of isolating which program is bringing up the dial-up window is to press CTRL-ALT-DELETE when it appears and look through the list of currently active programs.