PDA

View Full Version : Hard disk problem

16-04-2002, 10:15 PM
My hard disk spins when I turn the power on but is not detected by BIOS - what can I try?

16-04-2002, 10:42 PM
make sure your cables are connected properly, and make sure that you havn't set your drive up to conflict with another (i.e. setting both drives to 'master' or 'slave')

if you have more than one drive try connecting one at a time to see if it works, try it on another computer or try a different cable.

16-04-2002, 10:45 PM
A little more detail about your computer and how this all started might help Georgio, but it sounds like it might be a dead disk.

Post more information and we'll take it from there. In the meantime, I hope you have backups of your data just in case.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

18-04-2002, 01:38 AM
If your CMOS Battery is flat the BIOS may have forgotten the HDD info. Try re-detecting the HDD in the BIOS setup. If this is the cause, you will have to repeat the procedure each time you boot up until the battery has been replaced.

If the HDD is not detected, then you have either a BIOS or hardware fault. Hardware faults include loose or damaged IDE or power cables, a faulty HDD, or a faulty motherboard. BIOS problems can be sometimes be fixed by 'Flashing' the Bios or reloading it. If these don't work, then the motherboard is probably faulty.

26-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the three responses so far - It is definately a problem with the hard drive, as other disks work fine.

What is a dead disk - if it still spins is there anything I can do to fix it or is that it?

I have looked around for a replacement, but there does not seem to be much of a market for old hard disks - probably for the same reason I need one!!