View Full Version : What do the abbreviations mean?

16-04-2002, 05:21 PM
Can anybody tell me what all the abbreviations people use when chatting are - like
LOL or ROFL or <G> - stuff like that. Is there a site I could go to that tells you what they all are?

Thanks guys

16-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Hi new to this-chatting is fun eh? :)

LOL-means 'laughing out loud'
LMAO-means 'laughing my arse off
BRB-means 'be right back'
GTG-means'got to go'
<G>-I have no idea.

These are just some of the ones I know. There are also 'emoticons'. They are faces that when you look at them side of [:)] (that is a smiley face. You could also try a search engine like AltaVista and search, there will be something I am sure!

Later! :)

16-04-2002, 05:54 PM
Theres lots of abbreviations and if you chat in msn they are listed somewhere in help.
some are
pmsl = p**s my self laffing
brb = be right back
afk = away from keyboard
ty = thank you
yw = your welcome
wb = welcome back
rotfl = rolling on the floor laffing
etc etc etc
all different chat sites have their own little abbreviations so don't be scared to ask either. Apart from msn chat you could also try nzchat which is where a lot of the chatters have gone to after xtra closed their chat site and went to msn

16-04-2002, 05:55 PM
<g> means 'grin'. Can sometimes be giggle.

Try this site:

Type out your abbrev. hit Find and they will come!

16-04-2002, 06:24 PM
ROFL = Roll on floor laughing (!)

17-04-2002, 06:14 PM
This is my personal favourite; IHA -I hate acronyms !! :D

18-04-2002, 05:03 PM
Many of the acronyms have three letters. Thus they are called Three Letter Acronyms (TLAs). Panic struck the computer world in the early 80s when it was realised that there would soon be a shortage of TLAs (there are *only* 26x26x26 of them).

The problem was solved in a simple way: there are now also a lot of '4 letter TLA's.