PDA

View Full Version : Future Proofing

16-04-2002, 02:06 PM
With the kids now getting old enough to buy their own games I have already run into trouble with needing to upgrade a video card.

My question is...

If I look at buying a new computer (with a budget of say, $3 - $4,000), what is the most important areas to buy 'top end' to allow upgrades in time (and when budget permits)

eg. Do I get a average all-round machine, or am I better off getting a great motherboard and putting up with below average other componentry for a while?

TIA
Shroeder

16-04-2002, 04:37 PM
My personal opinion (for what it's worth) is get the cheapest Pentium IV that you can find.

Don't waste time with Celerons and PIIIs. Don't know about other flavours of processor, I tend to avoid them but you don't have to.

Don't buy a $4000 machine, either. Get a reasonable $2-$2.5k machine if you can, and be prepared to upgrade the video card a couple of times. Also, be prepared to spen another $1500 in a couple of years. Remember that a $4000 PC today will cost about $2000 in 18 months time.

Also, if it is mostly for games, get them a PS2 or game cube and use the PC for internet and stuff. Games are a great source of problems for PCs.

Anyway, that's my five cents worth.

robo.

16-04-2002, 08:20 PM
I would go Athlon 1700XP...they are a good processor and a lot cheaper than Pentium. Soltek motherboards are reliable and free from problems with the AMD chips. As robo said, spend around 2k on a computer, and put aside 1k for graphics upgrades over the next 2 years or so. Start off with the likes of a GeForce 2 MX400 with 64mb of memory.

More details: porsche@vectorstar.net

16-04-2002, 10:22 PM
gee robo your just asking for a flaming ;-)]

first of all what games do they play and are there any titles that are being made at the moment that they will want?

if you are going to go top end it then ignore elcheapos like geforce2MX's. they are 2 generations old already. for gaming you are better off with the highend 'full' video cards not the cutdown MX versions. its a matter of buying what you need with a bit of room to handle any releases to comeout in a year or so.

main thing to look at is motherboards. what chipset, what will it support, will the manafacture make new bios for new cpu's ? also look at usb2, ata133, onboard raid etc. if you are on a bit of a budget i would recommend a mainstream type motherboard ie no fancy overclocking features. just a good solid basic board at a good price.

add ddr ram, geforce3ti200 or geforce4 4400 2X7200rpm drives(raid0) good sound card(no horrible onboard please) with a decent cpu should make a rather nice pc. o yes and an excellent mouse and good monitor are a must for games.

16-04-2002, 10:55 PM
OK time for a plug :)

check out this website:
www.oemcomputers.co.nz

if you like what you see, email me: oem.sales@xtra.co.nz and I will look after you (and anyone else who says they read this on PressF1).

I will help you with what you need/want and give you a good price too.

Hope to hear from you!

17-04-2002, 01:43 PM
GO for a AMD cpu a duron for value and buy the best components you can ascent.co.nz is a good site to read up on all the possible components you may desire http://www.oemcomputers.co.nz/
offer good deals on systems as well what ever you do do not buy a brand name they tend to use cheap M/Boards and components and charge like a wounded bull.

17-04-2002, 01:55 PM
Abit KR7A is a good mother board also there is no such thing as future proofing all you can do is buy whatever is availble at present remember in a year or so your PC will be worth about 50% of what you paid for it so dont regard it as a investment lol