PDA

View Full Version : PowerDVD vs. WinXP

15-04-2002, 07:38 PM
I've had WinXP Pro for a while now, and I used to be able to play DVD's fine using PowerDVD. It's been a while since I last used this, but lately whenever I've tried I get an error message that DirectDraw Overlay Mode is not set. I have an i740 based video card, the latest version of DirectX, and have tried altering refresh, reso, and colour depth all to no avail. WinXP tells me that DirectX has no errors, and this seems to be the only issue I'm having. I've tried updating PowerDVD, but still have the same problem. Any ideas??

15-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Tony,

What version of PowerDVD are you using? PowerDVD XP works great on Win XP... perhaps you need the XP version?

Else try downloading a program called DVD Genie and fiddling with some of the settings for PowerDVD in regards to the overlay mode, and see if that fixes things. Try a search on www.download.com or Google for 'DVD Genie'.

HTH

Mike.

17-04-2002, 08:21 AM
I've updated to PowerDVD XP, but this hasn't fixed the problem. I'm wondering if there's a chance my I740 graphics chipset doesn't support DirectX 8.1?? I haven't managed to find any information about this from either microsoft or intel.