PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Super Disk

16-06-1999, 05:59 PM
I read your article ?Create an emergency ?super? disk? excitedly looking for a solution to an ongoing problem I have been trying to solve. Although reference was made to my problem the solution was not obvious to me. I have the problem of not being able to access the CD ROM drive when trying to reinstall Windows 95. I purchased a second hand PC and it came with a recovery disk complete with CD ROM drivers and worked fine. I have since added another hard drive and partitioned the original and have more recently added a SCSI CD writer (an internal ZIP EIDE was already installed as D). Consequently the recovery disk references the wrong drive letter. And does not recognise the CD drive. Windows 95 references the CD as letter I and I have tried changing the letters in the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys to this letter and it still does not recognise it.
The Autoexec.bat file has the following references: LH MSCDEX.EXE /i:mscd001
The config.sys references it as: DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /i:mscd001
How do I change these to read the letter assigned by DOS?

Also with a CD writer I assume I should be able to create a bootable CD-ROM and include things like sound card drives, video drivers, modem etc. It should be possible with that much space to back up a large portion of the operating system and simple copy into the active partition if need to restore the system? Any suggestions?