PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras Limited Zoom Capacity.

15-04-2002, 02:12 PM
I am interested in buying a digital camera but am put off by what appears to me to be a very limited zoom capability of most on the market.I take a lot of distance and close up photos with my conventional camera with a telephoto lens and it seems to me that the digital cameras don't have the same capability. Is this just my perception of the situation or do digital cameras have a way to go yet?

15-04-2002, 02:23 PM
Camera purists would be disappointment in your attachment to zoom lenses.

I use a Sony DSCF505 with about a 3x optical zoom, plus digital (which I never use as it degrades the photo too much). I like a bit of zoom and have the lenses to prove it.

You can get the zoom you want, but just don't get too carried away because zoom lenses reduce available light and you need lots of light for digital pics.

robo.

15-04-2002, 02:46 PM
I wonder Tim where you have looked for decent zoom capability in digital cameras.

There are plenty available, at a price of course.

One I have used is the Fujifilm Finepix 2800zoom. It features a 6x optical zoom, equivalent to 38-228mm on 35mm cameras.

If you are interested, you can see reviews of this camera and others at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/fuji2800.html#specs

15-04-2002, 09:24 PM
Sony Mavica - the one that uses a floppy disk has a 10x zoom. If you have the money then both Canon and Nikon make digital cameras that use their film type zoom lenses, very useful if you have a large collection of existing lenses. Expensive camera's though.