PDA

View Full Version : kyocera laser printer

14-04-2002, 07:33 AM
Recently I obtained a Kyocera FS 7000 laser printer from the father of a businessman who has gone overseas. The printer seems to function mechanically but there is virtually no print on the page, just a faint strip in the middle. Inexpert advice has included toner, the toner container has toner in it but the machine was stored in a garage for a while, is it badly affected by humidity? another says it's the drum, as I tend to be a hammer and spanner merchant I would welcome any advice, ideas or help.
Thanks in advance.

14-04-2002, 02:24 PM
Geoff, I think you will find in this case that you will save yourself alot of aggravation by simply taking the printer down to the local shop for a service. It might turn out to be something you could have easily fixed, or you may replace half of the printer yourself by trial and error, and still not have it working.

Just fork out some cash and get the thing fixed.

G P

14-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Humidity does have an effect --- usually the opposite of what you might expect : moisture on the drum causes darkening. This is because the light (from laser beam or LEDE array) discharges the places which are to be dark. Moisture also discharges the drum, so it's probably OK.

Damp toner will not work well -- but if it flows freely in the toner container it is probably OK. (Don't blow into the container).

I'd suspect the (HIGH voltage) charging arrangement.
There should be removable charging wire assemblies (they usually have brightly coloured plastic handles).
Make sure that they are clean -- meths on a cotton bud should be OK. The wires are FINE, so be gentle.

Otherwise ---

16-04-2002, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the replies,I will have a look as you say but if that is no go then I will get an 'expert' to have a look.
Cheers
Geoffh

19-04-2002, 08:33 PM
Hi Graham

Your theory would be correct if we were talking about any other printer. However Kyoseras use ASI or amorpous silicon drums which are negatively charged. In other words the drum will be totally charged and the laser will neutralise everything that is not supposed to be dark.

Kyosera and Canon are the only brand i know of using this technology.

The drums virtually last forever and are hellish expensive to replace if damaged.

==orac==