PDA

View Full Version : sharing software and burning

13-04-2002, 11:16 PM
This is a post to get everybodys opinion on sharring software and burning. I dont see whats wrong with it aslong as your not selling it and making money. I mean burning music is the same as recording music onto cassette of the radio or a mates cd. Also sharing software is the same as swapping console games.

What does everybody think of this

13-04-2002, 11:46 PM
I think that if you use the software you should pay for it. Some people may have heaps of non-legit software, but if they don't use it what is wrong with it.

A lot of people have non-legit photoshop, but these people would be perfectly happy with the GIMP, so Adobe is not losing out at all.

If one has paid for a legit version of something, I think they should be allowed to install it on their own computers.

JM

14-04-2002, 08:23 AM
'I mean burning music is the same as recording music onto cassette of the radio or a mates cd.'

was that ever considered okay and legal to do? I dont' think so!

Sharing software is okay if you're sharing originals and not using the software at the same time, like it generally will say somewhere in the packaging or manual. People spend a lot of time writing software or recording music, and for most of them it's their job, and how they get paid. If everyone copies their stuff, then they don't get paid as much as they would have if everyone had bought it.

Imagine if you'd invented some kind of unique machinery to sell so you can make your fortune, but somebody buys it, rips it apart, learns how to build it themself, and builds heaps more and gives them away - all the people who get one for free aren't paying you for your piece of machinery - and in the end you're not making the money you deserve for your product. This is what copyright and patent legislation is for: to protect the people who rely on their inventions/recordings/software for their living.

So just because you copy stuff and don't sell it, but give it away, its still not right, because the rights to copy the product is not legally yours, and you're taking away from somebody elses living.

I could go on, but I think I've written enough for now.

Mike.

14-04-2002, 12:16 PM
back in the days before cd's i don't remember there ever being such a stink about copying music, even when dual tape decks came out.

i personal still like to buy the albums. the quality of most mp3's isn't great but at least its a good way of getting better copies of all the old worn tapes & records i still have.

the few cracked software i have had has been software that you cannot buy here. however most of that has been changed to free open source progs which frankly does a better job.

15-04-2002, 01:41 AM
Hi Anonymous I think is that your real name? Because I don't earn much.