PDA

View Full Version : Are you protected??

11-04-2002, 07:20 AM
Hi All, just reading through a post fruther down with regards to power surges and it reminded me of something. Most of you will have surge protection on your computers but how many of you have put surge protection on your other electronics?? I'm talking about your stereos, tv's, videos and even your whiteware. Most fridges, washing machines and dryers these days are electronic and a power surge kills these just as well as a computer.

You dont need the same level of protection as your computer on these things so you can just use the cheap basic surge protectors (HPM have a reasonably priced range) you should be looking at aprox $10 to $35 per protector and most come built into double adapters or multi point boxes.

I spent 6 years installing electrical equipment for various companies (tv's home theatre and whiteware) and was surprised at the lack of surge protection people had. When you think of how much the gear cost you it is very cheap in comparison and dont rely on insurance either, if you read carefully most policies have a backout clause for surge damage that they sometimes do use.

11-04-2002, 08:00 AM
For crying out loud, my wife already spends most of what I earn and now you.....

Which reminds me, I must add power surge protection to the list of thingee's I need to look for and get when in the city today.

Thanks dipstick, you made a good point. With the monsoon coming, power outages and eletrical storms, better to pay a few dollars now than have to buy everything all over.

11-04-2002, 09:44 AM
a lot of the hpm surge protectors are known to be fairly useless, so be carefull on what you buy.

if you want to protect the whole house it would be a good idea to get installed a lightning diverter on the incoming mains. note- it is not a fine spike protector as they don't do anything untill the voltage goes over 1000v. still recommend a GOOD spike protector on any electronic equipment.

11-04-2002, 10:30 AM
I have surge protectors on all my comp and stereo equipment, but was told by a techie that I wasted my money because they dont work! So is it worth it, or get a UPS. I have lost a modem to either power outages or something down the phone line and I know several people in the Helensville area who have had the same, so how do you protect a modem?.

11-04-2002, 11:15 AM
Good advice re surge protection, but before everyone buys up in a frenzy I suggest checking out one point. There is quite a price range for these devices and my understanding is that some of them at least (possibly the cheapest ones) self destruct when protecting against a surge, whereas others are resettable like the resettable overload ones. Can anyone point to a good informative article on these things as there is also the question of Type 1 and Type 2 levels of protection.

11-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Yes the cheap protectors do self destruct when hit by a big surge.....thats why they are cheap. I know from experience when a power line in our street got hit and about 12 houses lost tv's videos fridges etc. houses either side of us lost gear and all I lost was a few dollars worth of surge protectors. My home theatre system was running at the time when there was a flash and all went dark......I replaced the protector and continued watching the movie.....$8 for the protector as opposed to $9000 to replace the home theatre.........

11-04-2002, 04:15 PM
they work alright! ! well used to spikes around here (not that far from helensville :). acctualy there are a few electrical products that the manafactures will NOT warranty unless it has a spike or lightning arrester on it.

don't forget ups's only have basic spike protection themselves. nothing like the ups getting killed by a spike.

you can buy phone line protectors, lan protectors, tv cable protectors etc

i prefer panamax myself, good quality for the price.