PDA

View Full Version : Slow computer

10-04-2002, 09:55 PM
I have a P11 300, 256K RAM. OS Win 98SE. I have 2 hard drives, 1 4GB [D] drive that I use for backups and 1 6BG drive that is partitioned into 2 parts, 1 of 2GB and 1 of 4BG. The 2GB [C] partition has the OS and some program files and the 4BG [E] partition has everything else. C drive has 500 MB of free space and E has 1600 MB free I recently upgraded the RAM from 64K and also upgraded from MS office 97 to MS Office 2000. I have also upgraded the video card to a geforce 2 mx 400 32MB. The problem I am having is that the computer now runs very sluggishly. I have tried the obvious things like Defragging, running the disk cleanup utility, running scandisk. All to no avail. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I could try next.

10-04-2002, 10:40 PM
have you turned off fast find ??

10-04-2002, 10:51 PM
Usually when we have a machine get like this we swear at it, back up the data and reload. I don't think defrag is as good as it could be.....

10-04-2002, 10:54 PM
Not sure about MS Office 2000, but if it's anything like Works 2002 then there will be a half dozen progammes operating in the background hogging your resources as soon as you turn the PC on. As Tweake advised start with disabling FINDFAST which can be found in the control panel. Also press Alt/Ctrl/Delete and see how many other programs are running. Look for the office related ones and disable these. This is usually done by going Start>Run> and typing 'msconfig'. This starts the system configuration untility. Go to the start tab and you can take the tick's out of the boxes for any non wanted progams. If you're not sure just try them one at a time and see if there is any change or improvement.

10-04-2002, 10:55 PM
Hi Craig

How big is your swap file and is it located on the same partition as your OS?

What drivers are loaded for the gfx card? The Nvidia drivers are best for me rather than the card manufacturers, but I don't run a P11.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=home

Plus have you updated your board drivers or bios along with the new hardware? Maybe a check of the mother board site may give you some answers if you haven't already done so.

I imagine that a P11 and board will become a bottle neck for your ram (256MB) and gfx card. Sorry don't know much about office 2k and what it may do, check running processes in msconfig to see what is hogging your resourses.

HTH

Murray P

11-04-2002, 08:13 PM
thanks for that.
I found the fast find icon and clicking on it starts up an install program, so I assume that it is not installed.

11-04-2002, 08:26 PM
By swap file, I assume you mean virtual memory. Which I have set to be managed by windows. Yes it is on the same partition as the OS.
I am using Detonator drivers [not sure which version] for the vid card. I don't think this will be the problem though, because the card was installed in an attempt to help speed the system which was already slow.
Haven't changed the motherboard drivers. I did look on the manufacturers website but could not find drivers. I will look again.