PDA

View Full Version : My own dialup server or dialup network???

10-04-2002, 08:02 PM
I want to network another computer via dialup modem to my computer so that it can only access the internet through my computer.

Any sites you recommend worth the reading?

I'll be running WinXP and occassionally Red Hat.

I have DSL plus a dialup modem.

As I understand I set the dialup modem to listen for incoming calls but where to from there I have no idea.

It's only one computer that will be accessing my computer.

Is this the easiest way or is there another way?

The computer is a few kilometres away so network cable is out of the question.

10-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Maybe the term I'm looking for is dialin server.

I don't want to be an ISP an assign IP addresses. I just want it networked over the dialup modem.

10-04-2002, 09:08 PM
Hey dude,

hmmmyour first thread was a bit hard to understand, so ill try my best...you want to network 2 computers in your house with one of them going throught the other computer to access the internet??? is that what you mean - easy, reply to this if it is what u want and can help out -

G

10-04-2002, 09:48 PM
The computer is in another suburb.

I want to give that other computer internet access without it dialing an ISP but my computer instead.

The idea I had was if the computer dialed into my computer it can connect to my DSL connection for internet use like ICS but via dialup.

Is this VPN or am I way off?

10-04-2002, 10:00 PM
hey dude,

yeah it's like vpn, i myself am just mucking around with all this stuff as well. what i did was go into my services (administration tasks - computer managment - services)and make sure you have both routing & remote services enabled - am from there i'm pretty sure that will allow your computer to pick up an incoming call - make sure you have a user account setup for him as well. And from there it's down to security and sharing - sorry im still new so not 100% how the sharing is gonna work, but hopefully this will shed some light for you, and if i figure out anymore, will post ya,

cheers
G

11-04-2002, 12:28 AM
What are the benefits of doing this?

It's still going to tie up a phoneline. And you'll still only end with a 33.6K connection at the other persons end.

JM

11-04-2002, 12:39 AM
It gives the other computer free internet access.

It is essentially dialling in to an ISP

11-04-2002, 02:54 AM
Free internet is one thing and ZFree is going and Im switching to Jetstart and my stepdad is wanting me to help him find an ISP. He rarely uses it and I don't think it's fair if I spend money on a flatrate account when I have to pay for my DSL as well. Sometimes large updates come out so that would be when I need to use it a lot longer which is why an hourly rate is no good for me.

The phoneline will only be tied up when I dial in I assume. This computer only uses the internet like once a week and sometimes not even that. Speed isn't that important.