PDA

View Full Version : Win 2K Pro Clean Install

09-04-2002, 11:53 PM
I've been having all sorts of problems lately - printer wont print (hardware manager doesn't show one installed, although acording to print manager, it's there and working - but it ain't) - also windows hangs on startup, can't get properties on folders, windows looks for a fax on shutdown - the list grows on.
I'm (rather unpleasantly) considering f-disking c drive, and doing a clean install. I have multiple partitions with games and utilities etc, on the other partitions, and don't want to f-disk all my drives, just c-drive - heres the question - nearly everything you install puts a file or two on your c-drive during installation. Will formatting and clean installing windows 2k pro do damage to the other programs? (like preventing me from uninstalling later) Or will I have to manually uninstall all programs first and then reinstall later?

10-04-2002, 12:27 AM
Because so many programs write to the registry and write other files to the C: drive you will have to reinstall all your programs that are on the other partitions. You usually don't need to uninstall them. This is one thing I miss about the days of straight dos as if you wanted to delete a program you just deleted the directory. Every thing to do with that program was stored in that directory.

10-04-2002, 01:14 PM
Long live DOS!

10-04-2002, 01:14 PM
Long live DOS!