PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Passwordpassword

09-04-2002, 10:26 PM
This is the first time I've posted to F1, so may have missed previous questions on this subject. I am using Outlook Express on a near new machine running XP. I have set OE to remember my password on logging on to my ISP. When I start OE, I notice that the number of dots in the password box is about 2 times greater than the characters for my password. Result is I always have problems logging on. What's happened? Hope someone can help, JO.

09-04-2002, 10:43 PM
Did you enter your password twice when you set it up?

09-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Did you enter your password twice when you set it up?

09-04-2002, 10:53 PM
The asterixes are a default amount so that a person using the PC who does not know the password, can not see how many letters are in the real password.
It sounds like a separate problem exists which is stopping you connecting every time.
regards
Marty

09-04-2002, 10:59 PM
Entering the pw twice was one possibility, but I've repeated the process with same results.

09-04-2002, 11:02 PM
I believe that it is perfectly normal for OE6/WinXP to show a random number of password dots, not related to the actual number of characters in the password, so if you are having trouble logging on, I'd suggest that it has nothing to do with the dot phenomenon.

PH.

09-04-2002, 11:07 PM
I believe that it is perfectly normal for OE6/WinXP to display a random number of password dots, not related to the actual number of characters in the password, so if you are having trouble logging on, I'd suggest that the problem has nothing to do with the dot phenomenon.

PH.

09-04-2002, 11:07 PM
I believe that it is perfectly normal for OE6/WinXP to display a random number of password dots, not related to the actual number of characters in the password, so if you are having trouble logging on, I'd suggest that the problem has nothing to do with the dot phenomenon.

PH.

10-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Thanks to Marty and Paul for telling me about OE's ability to randomly fillout the PW box. At least I know now what is not the problem! Since last night I've done a system restore of 1 week. This has removed some other stuff that I loaded on and now I'm OK. But I'll bet it comes back.
Thanks again, F1 is a great place for getting info. JO.