PDA

View Full Version : Harddrive problems.

09-04-2002, 03:57 PM
I recently installed Norton System works 2001 on an older computer.When I try to run a disk scan it tells me that drive C may not be configured properly,so I tried to run scandisk in DOS,it gives me the message:'Scandisk cannot read the last cluster on drive C,the cluster is either damaged or your system is not configured properly.Drive C may need to have LBA enabled to work properly or its disk partitions may incorrectly be marked as a non LBA partition.Data loss can occur if your LBA setting or disk partition type for this drive is misconfigured'.
The drive is a Fujitsu 1.99GB.model M1624 TAU.I'm running Windows 95B on it.Read in the BIOS setup that LBA is enabled.I'm wandering whether anyone can help me sort out this problem.

09-04-2002, 04:18 PM
Did W95's scandisk work OK before you installed the Norton?

Did you take up Norton's scandisk offer to 'fix' anything?

If so, politely tell Peter Norton and his 2001 Works to 'Go away'. You may have to fdisk the partition and reinstall Windows.

It's the last cluster being complained about, so it looks as if something has been changed from 1-relative to 0-relative (or the other way around) since 1996. That should not affect the running of Windows.

If it works, just don't run scandisk ...

But I think you will have to back up anything you need, and repartition the disk, then reinstall.

09-04-2002, 04:51 PM
From the scandisk message, I believe you have a corruption in the disk partition information. This corruption indicates that the disk is larger than it physically is, so scandisk is attempting to access a cluster beyond the end of the disk.
Partition Magic can fix this fault.