PDA

View Full Version : slow internet

09-04-2002, 01:09 PM
I have jetway motherboard with AMD K6II processor, 64MB RAM, 6GB harddrive. I am connected to Ihug's ultra connection.

The problem I am having is some time my internet connection just goes to sleep. When I click on any link it's seems like doing nothing other times it's goes straight away.Some times I have to click couple of times before it will bring up new page.

I can use other application without any problem.

Can you please help??

09-04-2002, 01:35 PM
are you useing satelite? how is the connection with just the modem. logon speed? do have the sme prob when you use the modem only?

it could just be lag or a poor phone connection.

also ultra sat is not 'supported' with the majority of k6-2 systems.

09-04-2002, 06:10 PM
I had the same problem. I started using Opera instead of IE and that solved it.

Also if you look in Control Panel/Network and make sure that you have entries in the IP Address and DNS Configuration panels, if not ring ihug and ask them what they should be as I think that may have had something to do with my original problem with IE.

09-04-2002, 06:42 PM
i used to have 'ultra' via sugarloaf (chch)untill about a year ago, when i tossed it for a cable modem. While ultra was all good in therie, i had a lot of performance problems with it. If there is alot of outward traffic, ultra turns into a slug both ways. When ihug gave me a $177 bill for downloading a mere 7gig in one month, i took the card out and mailed it strait to AK. I find that a 128k cable connection beats it by far.
What you describe of ultra is similar to how it performed for me. It was irratic, and often froze. It also had quite a noticable effect on system nonperformance. Maybe it worked well for some people, but on a 450 meg machine, with at the time 64meg of RAM it was not a good idea. I would not recomend ultra unless you live in an area with no alternatives

09-04-2002, 06:50 PM
Yes I am using satelite. When I use just modem only I still have same problem. This started happening just couple of weeks ok. It was working perfect. In fact I wouldn't like to go back to Modem only.