08-04-2002, 04:17 PM
I am using IE Ver.4.72
and frequently getting the following:

An error has occurred in the script on this page
Line: 29
Char: 3
Error: Syntax error
Code: 0
Do you want to continue running script on this page.

Can someone explain what causes this and how do I fix it. Should I just install a later version of Internet Explorer.

08-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the web page you are viewing has errors in it which prevent your browser version from displaying it correctly. Or maybe has features that your browser has turned off or does not support.

It happens to me when I'm making a web page and I've done something wrong. But when I'm actually surfing I've got Internet Explorer to not display errors.

To switch yours off, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and under the Browsing heading make sure there is no tick in the 'Display a notification about every script error'. Click OK to exit.

You should then not be bothered again.

10-04-2002, 05:31 PM
Thankyou Susan B. Unfortunately there is no heading 'Display a notification about every script error' in my Version of IE. Thanks for tying to assist at least I now know that it is not a Browser fault which I thought it might have been

Vince
02-12-2005, 04:23 AM
I am using IE Ver.4.72
and frequently getting the following:

Line: 29
Char: 3
Error: Syntax error

Can someone explain what causes this and how do I fix it. Should I just install a later version of Internet Explorer.

I am having the same problem at a website.
I am using XP Home and IE 6 with all updates.

There is an online book which uses popups to display footnotes and this IE Script error occures every time I click on the link to view another footnote.

Line: 19
Char: 1
Error: not implemented
URL:http://www.lordmeher.org/index.jsp?pageBase=page.jsp&nextPage=547

The exact same error has occured several dozen times on as many pages of the book!

Notification of script errors is dissabled in IE settings and the Popup blocker is off. I complained to the website and they suggested putting their site in the 'Trusted Zone' but that hasn't helped either :annoyed:

I have come across similar errors on a couple of other websites, but not recently.

Has anyone got any ideas why this is happening? How can I fix it?

beama
02-12-2005, 06:43 AM
ie..tools...internet options...advanced tab, put ticks in the two boxes that say disable script debugging.

This not an error caused by you, this error is caused by poor coding practise on behalf of the wed site developer.

Vince
02-12-2005, 03:27 PM
ie..tools...internet options...advanced tab, put ticks in the two boxes that say disable script debugging.

This not an error caused by you, this error is caused by poor coding practise on behalf of the wed site developer.

Thanks for your answer, but those items were already ticked.
I forgot to say so last night. Still hoping for a solution. Vince

Bazza
02-12-2005, 06:34 PM
I was troubled by these IE scripts errors about a year ago. They occurred when running the HP director program to use an HP Scanjet. The director program used IE to display the scanning options on screen, & the script error stopped the display. Most frustrating & HP helpdesk were not much help.

Eventually I found on an HP USA site that this is caused by a fault in IE, and to D/L & install the "MS Data Access Components V 2.8" (MDAC) .. I did this & it worked. No more IE scripts errors.

Might be worth a try for your problem. A google search for MDAC should find it. I notice it is available from download.com

Vince
07-12-2005, 01:41 AM
I was troubled by these IE scripts errors about a year ago. They occurred when running the HP director program to use an HP Scanjet. The director program used IE to display the scanning options on screen, & the script error stopped the display. Most frustrating & HP helpdesk were not much help.

Eventually I found on an HP USA site that this is caused by a fault in IE, and to D/L & install the "MS Data Access Components V 2.8" (MDAC) .. I did this & it worked. No more IE scripts errors.

Might be worth a try for your problem. A google search for MDAC should find it. I notice it is available from download.com

Thanks Bazza, but I'm afraid that didn't help. Firstly, there is no HP software on my computer.
Secondly, when I tried to download MDAC 2.8 I first had to prove to MS. that my OS was the real deal by downloading a software checker, then, when allowed, the MDAC version that the website said was for XP. Then after the download had gone on for a while I got the message that that version was not compatable with my OS, and that anyway all the components of MDAC were part of XP SP2 which I have installed.

That was the second time recently that MS have misled me about software compatablity. :annoyed:

Still hoping for a solution. Vince