PDA

View Full Version : PressF1 FAQ

07-04-2002, 01:39 PM
In the past there have been many suggetsions that PressF1 includes a FAQ page. There has been some debate over the effectiveness of this, and whether people would even bother using it. We were all eagerly awaiting the new forum software that would possibly address this and some other requests. [By the way robo, when are we getting our new forum? Has the project been cancelled? Or is it in place, and I cannot tell the difference?]

Anyway, my suggestion is that we, the contributors to PressF1, write our own FAQ and 'donate' it to the site. This would involve each of any keen volunteers tackling a particular area, and writing answers to FAQ's, or possibly some how-tos. They could then be compiled, and it would be a simple process for IDG to add them to the site somewhere.

Could any of you who are interested please reply with your interest, and any suggestions as to how we could do it, or any reasons why we should do it differently, or not do it at all. I am happy to undertake the organisation and compilation tasks, unless someone else wants to.

G P

07-04-2002, 01:57 PM
I like the idea.

Some good answers have been posted here in the past.

Like Billy t's one on monitor focussing, and Susan b's one on getting rid of unwanted home pages in IE.

Probably a dozen good answers like these, would answer 50% of the questions on F1.

If there was just an easy way to direct people to them.

07-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Is is raining down your way too, Graham? LOL

Good idea though and since I did mine last week you can use that as a start :-)

Pity that guy never came back to say if it worked or not :-(

We very much need a FAQ but I don't think it would be a good idea to have a heading 'FAQ' at the top of the Press F1 page because human nature being what it is, no one will go to that page directly.

I think there should be a short table of contents with links to the respective pages as an enticer. If their 'question' is not listed they might then be encouraged to explore a further, longer table of contents to see if there is anything about they are looking for.

What do the bright sparks think?

07-04-2002, 02:43 PM
I like the idea of a FAQ that we all contribute to.

JM

07-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Fantastic idea. I trawl the site almost daily and have been amazed at the amount of information I have picked up that I may not think I need at the time, but down the track think 'now, who posted that helpful tip on ...?' I've got to the stage where I cut and paste the ones I know I'll refer back to into a Word document for future reference. Being able to do this on the site would be a lot less hassle. Look forward to it arriving - and thanks again from a newbie for all the help everyone supplies willingly to this site.

07-04-2002, 04:17 PM
It's a good idea, first of all we have to draw up a list of the most frequently asked questions. This will involve some digging into the Press F1 archives.
Of course what springs to mind immediately is Scandisk, Defrag, and how to Fdisk, Format, and install OS, but there's a lot more.

Now who's good at drawing up lists? I know John Calvert :)

Once we have the list of FAQ headings, then they can be allocated out, or volunteers called for, to write up the answers.

I reckon Susan B would be good at managing the project and keeping all the naughty boys in line.

Now let's see what Robo says.

07-04-2002, 04:54 PM
Totally agree with this one. A FAQ section would be fantastic. I also agree with Susan B a bit, but think that maybe it could be broken down into sections - like Software / Hardware, etc....or more elaborated so that it could be along the lines of Software - Operating Systems, Software - Office Applications, etc.

Would be keen to lend a hand if required.

Cheers
Kerry

07-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Perhaps we could do it like a how-to section instead so as to get people to want to go there - creative marketing!

Check out PC911's site for an idea of what I mean.

<http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto.html>

Although, the how-to's here are very in depth, and would take a lot of work.

I will make up a draft list of questions, and post them in a new thread later this evening. Feel free to add to it as you like.

G P

10-04-2002, 04:42 PM
I too think an FAQ is a good idea, overall this site has helped me out numerous times with great results, the last being to update video drivers. The info I got was bang on the mark. I too would like to give back to the forum so to speak. I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to comps and there probs, but then again Im not a total dummy. What I do have is ALOT of time on my hands and a relatively good comp, so if I could help in anyway then please let me know.

10-04-2002, 04:46 PM
I too think an FAQ is a good idea, overall this site has helped me out numerous times with great results, the last being to update video drivers. The info I got was bang on the mark. I too would like to give back to the forum so to speak. I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to comps and there probs, but then again Im not a total dummy. What I do have is ALOT of time on my hands and a relatively good comp, so if I could help in anyway then please let me know.

10-04-2002, 04:49 PM