PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access Partition Table

07-04-2002, 06:33 AM
Hi all, would you please help me to solve this problem??
Recently, I have formatted my harddisk and re-installed Win 98 SE.

now, everytime I run Norton Disk Doctor and it failed in the first step straight away. It's called Partition Table. I swear that I don't know what on earth called PARTITION TABLE is!!!

I need Norton Disk Doctor to fix my hard drive in case.
I'm wondering If there is a cure.

Thanks heaps

further information:
I have two hard disks C: & D:
PIII 500, WIN98 SE ....and...lots of games...heheh :-)

07-04-2002, 01:01 PM
Phil,
The partition table is information recorded on the disk, describing how the disk is set up (whether the disk is subdivided into more than one volume (drive letter), what parts of the disk are used for what purpose etc. This information is used by boot loaders, operating systems etc.

The partition table can be corrupted, but a crash, virus etc in as much as any files can get corrupted. If you have two physical drives fro C: and D:, copy any important files from the one with the bad partition to the good drive, then allow Norton to repair the partition table. Like anything, there is a small risk with repairs, so save your data first if you can.

'Should disks in the Southern Hemisphere spin backwards?'

08-04-2002, 10:15 PM
The Master Boot Record (MBR), which contains the partition table, is written to the very first sector on the HD - Track 1, Sector 0 (somebody correct me if I've got the numbers wrong). Normally most of the remaining sectors in Track 1 are unused. Once you get your MBR problem sorted out, it can be helpful to copy it to an empty sector, say Sector 10. You then have a backup copy that can be used to replace the original if it ever gets corrupted (you can do this on both HDs). Disk Doctor can be used for this.

09-04-2002, 01:59 AM
Thank you Wupo and Robin for your information!!!
To be perfectly honest, I don't know what to do to fix this.

I want to FDISK and then format my harddisk again. Would it be solved????

or I just run NDD is good enough??

Cheers guys!!!