PDA

View Full Version : Email from Where?

06-04-2002, 01:59 PM
Yesterday I received an email from a person I did not know. I clicked on reply and asked the person where they got my address from and why they had sent it to me. However, it was returned to me by the mail administrator saying no such address. On taking a closer look at the address I noticed it was joe_bloggs@hotmail.co - I realised that that couldn't be a hotmail address because they end in .com - I then sent another email and this time typed in the address using .com - No reply. I am concerned because the email was of a personal nature and the person who wrote it obviously knows me. Is it possible for somebody to make up a bogus senders name and address on their emails and therefore send an email without the true name and address showing? This has given me the creeps and would like to know what to do about it.

06-04-2002, 02:10 PM
It is easy enough to send out emails without a return address or a fake return address.
Couple of reasons will be to send you a virus or spam mail.

Rule number one is NEVER EVER reply to spam mail or unknown mail in your case. Just delete it. By replying to it, if the return address is real then you are simply confirming to someone, probably a spammer that your address exists and following that is more mail saying you signed up for this and that.
It is also possible that even if the return address is fake, they can still check your address by using a confirming agency which reports back to the sender the exact time you opened the message and thereby again, confirming your address.

Delete Delete and Delete again

06-04-2002, 02:14 PM
Yes, it is quite simple to identify yourself differently from your own account name (do you really think my name is wuppo?)

View the 'header' information for the email (depends on what email program you use, as how to view headers). This may tell you the account name of the sender, but at least should give the IP address the email originated from. Record the originating IP number and the time - ISPs know who an IP number was allocated to at any given time. If you feel you need to go to the police over this, they can obtain the identity of the sender.