PDA

View Full Version : win xp pro networking problem

06-04-2002, 12:23 AM
ok i have a network consisting of two good pcs both running win xp pro and connected to each other via a hub. i have previously had the network running absolutely perfect with print sharing, internet sharing and file sharing. something has happened now however and i can't get them working any longer. i have tried creating a new network and this doesnt work. i have checked all the hardware, no conflict or disabled devices all lights are on everything on the hardware side is fine. anyone have any suggestions at all?

06-04-2002, 12:42 AM
Have you got a firewall running? a misconfigured firewall can block your network.

Try pinging the other computer with the IP addresses that are assigned to it to see if they can be picked up.

Try pinging your own IP address to see if your network card is working.

06-04-2002, 02:40 AM
Dont know if this applies in your situation..but a couple of things I struck with the XP comps here.........

XP appears to require at least 1 folder with sharing enabled on it.....the shared folder set up by default doesnt actually having sharing enabled by default (go figure, M$ logic)

also ensure the firewall on your NIC is disabled....built in firewall gave me no end of trouble.........

06-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Try to ping one computer from the other - this is the most basic proof of a reachable node. Have you applied static IP's to the PCs?

10-04-2002, 11:44 PM
How do i ping another computer from my current one. I guess i need to know the ip, but how do i find them out in xp. also i'm not sure if they or dynamic or static, i just followed the network setup wizard.