PDA

View Full Version : domain registration agents - any recomendations?

05-04-2002, 11:22 PM
I was about to register a domain for a project with a freind of mine who is wonderful at layout, which is something i am not. I went to interspeed, who traditionaly have provided a good deal for me, but no more!
If i breathed near those people, it would now cost me another $XX, this is not quite what i wanted.
Does anyone know of a good registration agent, and what are the costs?
I allready have a domainz account for exsisting domains registered under my name.

06-04-2002, 12:36 AM
Before registering a name you need a host. If you haven't got one I can suggest the following:

Go to www.2day.com (NZ company on the North Shore). They do not register domain names for you but give a step-by-step guide to doing it yourself at Domainz.

If you ask an ISP to register a domain name for you and then you pay them - they may end up owning the name. If you do it yourself - you own it.

06-04-2002, 11:36 AM
I have a host.. me! This machine is on the end of a cable modem and is on 24/7, with a static IP. The hosting side of it will not be a problem, unless we start to get real amounts of traffic. The only part of it that is a problem is the registration proceedure itself. Hopefully 2day.com will help me negotiate through the domainz maze.

I just checked the page, and they are not intirely helpful. Quote: '2day.com has reluctantly withdrawn registration of .nz names until a shared registry system is adopted in New Zealand.' I think i shall finish waking up, have breakfast, and then check it out. It sounds like i might be able to park it with them atleast. Last year it was so simple!