PDA

View Full Version : Clip Art CD ... more problems!

05-04-2002, 06:01 PM
Further to my installation problem of a Clip Art CD that PressF1 readers solved. Have been using the CD quite regularly. This morning however, I inserted the CD and nothing happened - didn't hear it running, and when I went into My Computer/D Drive, the message 'D:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready'. I tried other CD's at random, and they all ran perfectly. I tried my CD at a friends place - no worries; worked fine, and tried her identical CD at my place - no luck; wouldn't run. My friend (who knows even less about computers than myself - if that's possible!) suggested I uninstall the program. I did, but it did no good at all. I've cleaned the CD and am ready to get the hammer out once again. It only cost $15.00, but it's the principle - it works for others! Any ideas? Elle

06-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Oh dear.

A CD drive shines a laser beam onto the disk. The reflection is modified by pits which are moulded into the one track and vacuum coated with a very thin aluminium film.

If your CD drive has 'just enough' brightness in the laser, and that batch of CDs has 'just enough' difference between the presence or absence of a pit, that disk might not be readable.

If a read is unsuccessful, the system tries again. The CD is written with many more bits than are needed so that the drive can do a lot of error correction without slowing down or eeven telling the computer about it.

The fact that your friend's copy does not work on your machine indicates that your drive might be getting a bit tired. A replacement $15 CD might not work too -- that batch all got the same processing, and were stamped from the same master.

The cleaning trick gives the drive its best chance. You get more light through a clean window, and the laser light has to go through the plastic twice.

You might want to save up for a new CD drive. It could be on the way out. But don't scrap it while it works for everything else. It's just that CD at the moment.

06-04-2002, 04:31 PM
This might help. I have a $15
Clipart CD. Sometimes works, somtimes not. I found if I open the program from Start menu. when it says please insert CD, or Cd not in drive. put the CD in D drive and click OK. It works for me. hope it works for you.

06-04-2002, 06:30 PM
Hi Elle

Graham got in ahead of me on this one. I agree with his diagnosis of a tired CD Rom.

However, you can also clean the laser lens of your CD Rom and that might be all you need to do. For best results you normally need to dismantle the CD Rom but you can get cleaning disks that do a reasonable job.

Here's a tip though, cleaning disks don't always behave themselves and can lock up your CD Rom and refuse to eject. If this happens, just eject the disk using a paperclip poked into the manual-eject hole. If the disk is still spinning and refuses to eject, reboot and eject it manually when power comes up but before the CD Rom is operating under software control.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)