PDA

View Full Version : Can I delete mssg.exe?

05-04-2002, 03:22 PM
My Norton Antivirus software has detected a Trogan horse in the file c:/windows/startmenu/programs/startup/mssg.exe

It has quarantined it, but can't blitz the virus.

Will deleting this file adversely affect any of my other software? How do I permanently delete this Trojan horse?

05-04-2002, 04:51 PM
MSSG could be windows related in the quick search I did on google. I also entered that into the nortons search field and came up empty handed.

If it is in quarantine then it will not be doing any harm, unless someone else knows more about it, I would suggest just leaving it there in the meantime and see if any of your programs are affected by its absence.

07-04-2002, 11:47 AM
You can delete the file without affecting any other programs. It is a virus propagated through MSN Messager

07-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Hi Anna,
I hate to admit it but I am currently working to KILL 2 virus's (Virus' ??, I'm not sure of the correct punctuation/spelling).

1) 'JS Exception' - so far I've only been able to learn that it attacks 'Zone Alarm' a software firewall that you can download for free. On this system... I have been working on this virus for about 2 weeks & it could have been on this system substantially longer..? - Norton says the system is clean & then it shows up later, about every 3 to 4 days & I have found it in my favorites list.

2) Nimda (current rev. unsure [I can't tell for sure as the system is currently being scanned...].I formatted the Hard drive on this system 1 day ago & installed Windows XP home edition, completely fresh install. Then I installed Office XP with Outlook 2002 & configured it for my email lient(bad decision on my part??)

I have been working on this virus for a couple of days & it just seems to keep hanging on.

The question I have is why either viruscide (Macafee on one system fighting NIMDA) (& Norton on the other fighting JS Exception), have not been able to kill either virus completely ...

I also wonder if NIMDA is the cause (as the JS Exception virus hasn't seemed to do any lasting damage) & it may be the MSSG.EXE file is a result of NIMDA morphing.....

Haven't seen any postings on this. Good Luck & let me know if you find anything out. I will let you know if I find anything out. Mike

09-04-2002, 07:00 AM
Well i had this same problem at the company i work for. The chairman had this virus on his system and from looking at the documentation on the virus, it suggest that the virus can change it's name and when you see it as mssg.exe, which stores itself in the startup menu and also makes changes to the registry, that it came across the network. After checking the rest of the pc's on the network no traces of the virus was found and since norton had no info on the virus and no way of fully removing it, i took it upon myself to do a shift+delete of the files in the quarentine folder, delete it from the start menu and delete all registery entries it made, so far it has not been back.

28-04-2002, 12:19 AM
Norton is unable to delete JS Exception but has it in quarintine. How can I delete the pest as I think that the file it arrived in has subseqently been deleted? Appreciate any help, but be aware I am a real amature at this type of operation.
Thanks Hilton

02-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Yes you can but this wont solve the problem since it is inscribe in your computer registry to install 'mssg.exe' in the startup at the next bootup. You need to do a bit of registry cleaning (dont do it yourself if you are new to computers!) and also in WIN.INI.
Symantec's website was the only one that was documenting the problem and how to resolve it. Very well explained and i just managed to kick the a** of this worm ;-)

23-05-2002, 02:19 AM
Hi, I also have this same problem. I can't find another file to put in it's place, so if you got any response to this problem could you let me know?~:)
Warren

23-05-2002, 11:42 PM
i'd suggest the only reasonable approach - MAC OS