PDA

View Full Version : XP's booting procedure

05-04-2002, 01:58 PM
I'm running XP Pro on my PIII 733 (256MB RAM) with just one strange occurance: the OS boots up fine but once I reach my desktop it will take aaages to let me do things, ie. the hourglass is there for about 3 minutes. I notice that my floppy drive buzzes, then my ZIP drive, then my modem click-clicks like it's being communicated to and then it'll finally let me work. This is EVERY boot.

Is this normal? I had Win98SE before and it didn't do that (or did it - but while booting??).

I now keep my PC on stand-by because the boot time is so long!

The family PC (also XP Pro, AMD 1.6 Ghz with 512 RAM) does not do this, ie. desktop comes up can work straight away).

05-04-2002, 04:00 PM
Hi Andrew,

I'm also running a PIII 733 but with 512 ram on an Iwill motherboard.

I used to have similar problems with my XP pro too, but mine eventually just went away. I don't know if it's standard but with the more loads the more effiecient it gets to a limit though, it's really strange, granted though I don't think it's normal.

When you intalled XP was it over Win98? I originally did mine over win98 and ended up doing a clean install, but I still had the same prob.

But just for the record she runs fine now on start up.

Best of luck,

Daniel

05-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Andrew,

Do you have a network card in your PC? If so, is it connected to another PC? If not, then disable it and your system should boot a lot faster. The time that it spends seemingly doing nothing it is actually seeking out a network to connect to, and not finding one.

HTH

Mike.

05-04-2002, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback, firstly yes the install was over Win98, and secondly yes I do have a network card and XP that regulary informs me if the cable is 'plugged in' or not.

It makes sense... Hmmm maybe I'll just leave it be (rather than mess around with the ol' settings).

Thanks guys