PDA

View Full Version : ACDSee 4 expires & won't renew

05-04-2002, 12:16 PM
At PC World's recommendation I installed the trial version 4 of ACDSee's Image Viewer.

The viewer was supposed to be free (if I didn't choose to buy), the only proviso being that I would have to keep reinstalling it every 30 days if I wanted to keep using it without paying.

Not so - the programme allowed me to extend the trial period and then after that wouldn't operate. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still tells me my trial period is up. I like the viewer but I don't use it enough to justify the full cost. Installing every month is no big deal if I get to use it free - is this possible?

05-04-2002, 12:49 PM
I haven't used ACDSee 4, but from the sound of things there is either a file being left on the harddrive. Or a key in the registry that is preventing you from doing what you say.

There is most likely a way to get around this, but if you like the program you really should pay for it.

There are other free image viewers Irfan Viewer being one of the best in my opinion. It is available from <http://www.irfanview.com/>

JM

05-04-2002, 02:59 PM
After un-installing, run a registry cleaner and see what it brings up. Try regcleaner from www.jv16.org. Bye

05-04-2002, 11:58 PM
My advice is to install acdsee classic (download it from www.acdsee.com) has less features but you can keep reinstalling it,and get another thirty days trail
Best image viewer around in my opinion

Hope this helps?

06-04-2002, 03:09 AM
I tried v4 for about 5 minutes, then went back to v3.1, which has an 80 day trial period, then it lets you go into adware mode, which last time only had ~3 different adds for the full version. You have to let it get access to the server every 30 days I think (has been less than 80 days since I reinstalled windows).
Another reason I changed back was that I couldn't work out how to get the preview pane going the way I like it in v4.