PDA

View Full Version : Spool 32 ...........and it is?

05-04-2002, 11:40 AM
Seemingly since I have installed my new Epson C60,I keep getting this message at start up...spool 32...you are performing an illegal whatever and if you persist etc... It seems to be something to do with the printer I think. Can anyone tell me what I have done in my wonderings of learning? It doesn't always happen, but I am getting familiar with it....help!!

05-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Spool32 is the thingy (for want of a better term) that windows uses to send files to a printer, so your problem is indeed related to your Epson. Try removing the printer from the system, and uninstalling any applications that came with the driver, and restart. When you get back into windows, go to start|settings|printers and add a printer. choose select from a list and click have disk. insert your driver disk and point windows to the .inf file that is the driver and when it is installed it may fix your problem. (if any of this is too technical or you would like more help/instructions, feel free to ask).

Jimbob.

06-04-2002, 02:05 PM
Spool32 is the windows print spooler - that takes the 'printout' from your application program and feeds it to the printer (allowing your program to not be held up waiting for the printer to finish). Unfortunately, Spool32 is somewhat sensitive to other programs running at the same time - typically freezing a conmputer at bootup or when attempting to print. To find the incompatability - you need to stop other applications loading at boot time (remove references from the startup folder and even stop your config.sys and autoexec.bat being processed (use msconfig, general tab, selective startup and uncheck everything). Also, you can disable registry launched programs from the 'startup' tab of msconfig. If you are running Norton - try disabling this first - it is often the culprit. If you get the system to work OK, go back re-enabling the items you turned off, until you discover which is the offending one.

'If PC's worked properly, we'd have to find something else to vent our frustrations on'.