PDA

View Full Version : Who's capping what?

05-04-2002, 11:12 AM
Much confusion has arisin over the mind numbingly slow speeds of jetstart on a p2p network (.5kps). Xtra tells me its because its against terms and conditions to run as a server (when i download - im a server? news to me). Then i get ppl telling me its telecom capping it because they want ppl to use jetstream. Another theory pops up that its xtra doing it for the same reasons. My theory is that ill stop banging my head against a brick wall trying to get answers and shift ISP's Anyone know of an ISP who, when given my money every month will actually give me the service i ask for, or am i just being unrealistic.

05-04-2002, 12:13 PM
There is no capping with Saturn paradise cable 10 gigs per month on 128kbs or 5 gigs on 256 kbs

05-04-2002, 12:54 PM
With P2P it doesn't matter how fast your connection is, if the connection on the other end is slow it's going to be slow to download.

I know people that have JetStart through <http://www.inspire.net.nz/> and find it good.

JM

05-04-2002, 12:59 PM
you have a good point there. if you disable 'file sharing to others' then you are not running a server. the app only downloads so xtra/telecom should not be allowed to block it. btw if i remember rightly you can use a download manager to download off people. use kazaa to find the user then use the download manager to download. i don't know if it will get past xtras block or not.

if its only xtra doing the blocking then try paradise or another isp.

05-04-2002, 01:33 PM
I've heard that worldnet don't cap your download speed.

06-04-2002, 01:57 PM
The problem with some of those p2p apps is that under the tools options tab users can select the amount of bandwidth they allocate to people downloading files from them hence whether you had jetstream/start it would not make alot of difference.

06-04-2002, 01:57 PM
The problem with some of those p2p apps is that under the tools options tab users can select the amount of bandwidth they allocate to people downloading files from them hence whether you had jetstream/start it would not make alot of difference.