PDA

View Full Version : Robo : The multiple click

05-04-2002, 01:37 AM
Hi there Robo. I was wondering if on the new post page if the Post buutons click method could hide the button so that all these multiple posts will stop appearing. There must be too many people posting with the DTs.

05-04-2002, 09:26 AM
I am not sure if we can, but it does seem to have been especially bad lately.

I think to much chocolate over Easter is the culprit.

robo.

05-04-2002, 09:32 AM
Not sure of the exact code but how about a javascript function that works like this:

onclick='Poof! Let button disappear!'

05-04-2002, 09:38 AM
Hello Rob,

One of the causes, seems to be with F1 itself, last night I ended up making a double response.

This occured because, when submitting my response the page came up with a 404 not found error, leaving me with no alternative but to either resubmit or risk losing a fairly long submission.

just to let you know the chocolate isnt always to blame.

Alan

05-04-2002, 09:55 AM
Yes, it did seem to be having some issues last night. One thread had 7 replies and I only saw two, another had six and I couldn't see it at all.
Don't worry Alan, I don't put double-posters in a black book or anything.
robo

05-04-2002, 11:14 AM
I posted the same thing 5 times (shoot me now those that will) but the reason for it was that each time i waited about 3 minutes while doing other things only to get a message to the effect that the server has cut the connection, so i reposted. I repeated this non post 5 times. Much to my horror once things were working relatively normally, there they all were, hence 8 replys in responce to coull kiwis email addresses post.
However there are/were obvious problems in the system, my own post 'HD go click-thomp' has ceased to exsist, i don't get a 404, i'm not seeing a responce from server either. Is the server having problems with coping with the popularity of this page? Last night i was wondering if the servers HD had done the final 'click thomp'!

05-04-2002, 11:48 AM
Alan

There is no need to lose your post, just highlight the text and copy, then paste into notepad to store it. Start a new post and copy the text back to it. I do this automatically with long posts because once lost, I never seem to be able to recapture my thoughts in quite the same way.

I meet up with this problem often enough to maintain a file called 'cut text.txt' and since notepad doesn't have a 'last file' option and you have to search every time you use it, I keep the file on the root of my data drive so that I can get to it quickly.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

05-04-2002, 01:58 PM
I too discovered recently how easy it is to make multiple postings. Just as I clicked on post, my connection went down and having re-established it, got every indication that the previous one had failed, so I repeated the process and lo and behold bouble entry. So come on folks, lets not be too quick to condemn. What gets my goat is the 150 character word in the subject or name column that makes the page so wide it doesn't fit my screen. PC

05-04-2002, 05:21 PM
I think Netscape and a few other browsers have built in Disabled Onclick after it's been clicked. I am not sure about this but I am in Netscape now and may try it out twice.

Also there is a javascript method that will disabled the onclick after it's been clicked. Depending on how these pages are generated and if you can add extra codes to it then it should be easy enough to keep it that way.

05-04-2002, 05:21 PM
I think Netscape and a few other browsers have built in Disabled Onclick after it's been clicked. I am not sure about this but I am in Netscape now and may try it out twice.

Also there is a javascript method that will disabled the onclick after it's been clicked. Depending on how these pages are generated and if you can add extra codes to it then it should be easy enough to keep it that way.

05-04-2002, 10:03 PM
Ha good to know I am not the only person to double post.
If you fix the post button Robbo, people wont have anything to complain about F1.
Cant have that.
Cheers
Ted

06-04-2002, 05:47 AM
No I dont think so. must be a Telstra-Saturn cable problem. HA HA