PDA

View Full Version : how can i delete this file

04-04-2002, 11:40 PM
hi all >> i got problem today that i can,t delete file A000973.CPY i found it in the C but my pc can,t delete it so plz any body can tell me this file for what? and is this a system file for windwos and what will happen if i delete it by safe mode >>thanks

04-04-2002, 11:51 PM
Are you running windows ME? Sounds like it! If so, i think you will find this is part of the restore archives, something i personally think is rather over rated. On my partners machine, these files are often found to be a wonderful source of achived viri, on an otherwise clean system (please don't ask) and i just delete them using DOS These files are of no use unless there is a major problem and one uses the system restore.

05-04-2002, 07:19 AM
I think Chris is right. Sounds like part of system Restore. If so then.. right click My Computer > click Properties > Performance Tab > File System > Trouble Shooting > check 'disable System Restore. I am sure that you will have to restart after. What this will do is purge all files contained in System Restore so you will have NO checkpoints from which to revert to if you wish to do so. By going back and unchecking 'Disable System Restore' you are allowing new checkpoint times to be established again.
Not sure what all the negativity is surrounding Restore as I have found it has saved my bacon a couple of times.
Why do you want to delete this file for anyway? Has it been infected? If so follow steps above. If there is no virus then research more on System restore from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sr/srestore_0qg5.asp
good luck
Sam

05-04-2002, 01:23 PM
If its a system file, why would you want to delete it?