PDA

View Full Version : HD go 'CLICK---THOMP--CLICK--THOMP'

04-04-2002, 10:02 PM
Last thing i was doing yesterday was answering a question here about the default location of outlook files and i suddenly got a series of blue screens and alot of odd noise from one of my HD's..The first few screens were 'system busy', and the final was 'cannot write to C: Drive'
I'm back with a new HD, but i'm a little worried.
When i plug the old drive, a 30gig seagate even into power only it just sits there going click-thomp-click-thomp.......
I'm not worried about the cost of replacing the drive, allthough i should be because i am skint, i'm only slightly annoyed about having to rebuild the system just over a month after i last did it. What i am really annoyed about is the 5,000 MP3'S that are/were on the drive. These are part of what was a 9,000 plus Mp3 collection i have acumulated
So any-one got any ideas as to what my chances are of saving the data, and if so, how?
I'm prepared for the worst!

04-04-2002, 10:36 PM
Hi Chris

Unless you want to spend big bucks your Mp3s are probably history. The sound it's making doesn't hold promise for any amateur drive access and you'd be looking at a minimum of several hundred dollars to extract the data, thats allowing that it's even possible. Could be a mechanical melt down inside!

Call 0800 lostfiles (or 09 3599 424) and ask their opinion. I had 1.2GB of data lifted intact off a dead drive but the cost was over a grand. Back up, back up, back up, large drives are cheaper and faster than data recovery!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

04-04-2002, 10:41 PM
Hi Chris

Unless you want to spend big bucks your Mp3s are probably history. The sound it's making doesn't hold promise for any amateur drive access and you'd be looking at a minimum of several hundred dollars to extract the data, thats allowing that it's even possible. Could be a mechanical melt down inside!

Call 0800 Lostfiles (or 09 3599 424) and ask their opinion. I had 1.2GB of data lifted intact off a dead drive but the cost was over a grand. Back up, back up, back up, large drives are cheaper and faster than data recovery!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

05-04-2002, 11:58 AM
I did say i was prepared for the worst, so i think the HD might end up a sculpture somewhere.
Yeah you are so right about the 'back up back up back up' advice, unfortunatly my darling old machine doesn't know what a HD over 30 gig is. I was in process of collecting the bits for a new machine that was to funtion as a storage server, amounst other things. Best i be philosophical about it and find some coin fast so that i don't lose all the rest of my collection if D:drive dies unexpectantly. This is one lesson learnt the hard way!

05-04-2002, 12:28 PM
And the model drive that died..
Seagate Barracuda ATAII 30.6 Gbytes
Model Number: ST330630A
I am wondering if anyone else has had trouble with these.

05-04-2002, 06:03 PM
Do you mean that they are not supposed to go 'CLICK - THOMP - CLICK - THOMP' ?

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

However. I think that it is stuffed. But the proce of professional recovery being beyond your means, there is one thing you could try.

It 'sounds' as if the head has travelled *past* a stop (the sort of thing which 'can never happen').

You might be able to remove the cover of the disk, and 'carefully/gently' move the head back to be in its correct range. Then quickly copy everything, ignoring errors (from Abort, retry, fail, choose 'fail') to another disk.

This is something never to be done. You will destroy the drive, and invalidate any warranties by removing the cover and exposing it to dust and other crud in the air. (Don't do it in a room where soemone has smoked, or near the kitchen while frying).

But the drive is stuffed anyway. It has to work only *once* more, before it is retired to be a work of techno art.

Think about it --- someone might have a 'better' idea . But noises like that are BAD.

05-04-2002, 07:24 PM
good idea.. i got this HD as a swap with a 40gig that my machine refused to work with, and the original owner doesn't beleive he can find the warentee anyway. I'll give him a week, then i'll buy a 40 or something, and do the transfer on a freinds machine, if it works. As you point out, i dont really have much to lose, so i'm glad i haven't nailed it up by my old cellphones yet