PDA

View Full Version : Email addresses

04-04-2002, 09:37 PM
I maybe asking an obvious question here, but could somebody tell me, is it possible to have more than one addressee on the same email account.
EG: We have an email address. Can my daughter have a seperate address for her emails...one that goes into a separate InBox? So that we don't have to have all her emails arriving in ours. I have tried 'Add Identity' and also 'Message Rules' but it doesn't work.
If you have the answer, can you explain it to me...step by step.....

We have Outlook Express 5 and xtra is our ISP. Windows 98.
With Thanks in anticipation.

04-04-2002, 09:54 PM
Your ISP (Paradise does) should allow you to have more than one email address. I have one and my wife has a different one but it all goes into the same inbox. You will need to contact the ISP to arrange an additional email address.

If you want your daughters to go to a seperate email account you'll probably have to pay for it, but I would say - check with Xtra.

04-04-2002, 10:08 PM
Paradise offers up to 5 aliases and/or separate pop3 mailboxes. From their site:

Your first (primary) email address is a mailbox. A mailbox has its own storage space, account name and password for retrieving your mail. Additional email addresses can be added as extra mailboxes, using a seperate storage space, account name and password for each. This option is often used in family or work situations where only one connection is used but email privacy is required.

An alias is simply another name for a mailbox. Email sent to an alias will be retrievable from the mailbox the alias points to. This option is often used to add personal nicknames as email addresses.

So if security is not required - use aliases. If you don't want others with access to you PC to see your mail, set up individual mailboxes.

J.

04-04-2002, 10:16 PM
paradise offers 5 (or is it 6?)email addresses under thier domain, ie: addy1@paradise.net.nz addy2@paradise.net.nz etc they have the option of seperate mailboxes if required I have three such addresses EACH with seperate mailboxes, just to seperate various aspects of what i do, and to ensure that my mail boxes do not fill up while i am away.
I beleive IHUG still also do this.
Xtra?? Being what they are, they probably don't, allthough i would be pleasantly surprised to hear otherwise.

04-04-2002, 10:21 PM
paradise offers 5 (or is it 6?)email addresses under thier domain, ie: addy1@paradise.net.nz addy2@paradise.net.nz etc they have the option of seperate mailboxes if required I have three such addresses EACH with seperate mailboxes, just to seperate various aspects of what i do, and to ensure that my mail boxes do not fill up while i am away.
Xtra?? Being what they are, they probably don't, allthough i would be pleasantly surprised to hear otherwise.

04-04-2002, 10:28 PM

04-04-2002, 10:30 PM

04-04-2002, 10:33 PM

04-04-2002, 11:20 PM
Others may want to embellish on this.

You can set your daughter up with her own email address eg daughter@xtra.co.nz with your ISP

Xtra allows you to have up to 5 free email addresses (forget abbout aliases - too confusing).
When you joined Xtra, you used two of the five - remember you were asked for a primary and secondary email address?
To get Xtra to set one up for your daughter, check this page http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,5739-560812,00.html
There is a link halfway down the page to send an email to Xtra.

Create a folder for the incoming mail.
Once you have set up your daughter with her email address, open Outlook Express and create a new folder in the Inbox.
(From the menubar, File * New * Folder. Give it a name - eg your daughter's name - click the Inbox icon and then OK)

Now create a Rule to send incoming mail to the folder just created.
Then select (from the menubar) Tools * Message Rules * Mail.
In this dialogue box, in '1. Select the Conditions for your rule:' tick the 'Where the To line contains people'
Now go to '3. Rule Description (click on an underlined value to edit it)' and click <<contains people>>
Enter the new enail address (all of it) and click OK

Now to '2. Select the Actions for your rule:' and tick 'Move to the specified folder'
Back to '3. Rule Description (click on an underlined value to edit it)' and click <<specified>>
Locate and click the folder you created before and click OK

Click OK to close the New Mail Rule dialogue box and OK again to close the Message Rules dialogue box.

Close and reopen Outlook Express to ensure the changes are made.
Check everything works by sending an email to the new address

Ciao

04-04-2002, 11:25 PM
in outlook express it is easy to do what you want with your daughter having a separate alias. ie you have one address & your daughter has another. in oexpress go to tools/message rules/mail pick mail rules tab then new message box. in list 1 tick box 'where the to line contains people'. in list 2 tick the box 'do not download it from the server' in box 3 at bottom click 'contains people' which should have appeared in blue. in the line that appears type the e-mail address of your daughter while doing this logged into your e-mail page. then log into her page and repeat the message for her but at the end put in your e-mail address. now when you log in to your own e-mail alias' or switch identities the only your mail will download into your box. you have each set up a rule saying not to download any e-mail addressed to the other.