PDA

View Full Version : Missing cd-rom drive

04-04-2002, 09:35 PM
If anyone could help me, it would be appreciated.

I installed a new hard drive in my PC and as it was a 40GB drive, partioned it.

To copy files across from my old drive I used the cd-rom cable etc.

When I removed the old drive, the pc won't detect my cd-rom drive, however it appears in the BIOS at start-up.

It was mentioned to me that it may be because the drive expects to be labeled 'D', and that this is now the extended drive.

Have checked power and player ejects on request. Device does not show in Control Panel and Add New Hardware does not detect the device, nor does the drive exist in the list to choose from.

I am running Win98, and would be grateful for any assistance that could be provided.

Cheers,

04-04-2002, 09:56 PM
John,
Try re-labling the second volume to E: (from within Device manager) and reboot. The CD, may origionally have had it's drive letter range limited to D: and has been displaced by the hard disk.

If this works, relable the CD to F:, then you can put the hard disk back to D:, then put the CD back to E:!

04-04-2002, 10:07 PM
Um. a small further problem.

I can't locate the hard drives in the Device manager either, however they appear under My Computer, and I can access files from them.

Any thoughts on this, so I can look at renaming the drives?

In addition, with your last comment, why rename the cd-rom drive to F if it can only recognise D?

Cheers,