PDA

View Full Version : open with

04-04-2002, 09:13 PM
I have windows me & 256 ram. When I download anything and try to install it, I get a box asking me what to 'open with' and giving me various programmes to pick from. I have tried them and only get hieragliphics which I cannot understand. On my last computer (win98) When this box came up, I used to highlight windows explorer, but my new computer does not have this option. I've had this problem for years and never have been able to figure it out.The latest I'm trying to install is Trend's PC-cillin but have the same problem. How do you align the programme to install, with a programme in the 'open with' box?

04-04-2002, 09:46 PM
When you install a program it tells Windows which extension to associate to that program (so a .doc file will open with Word, .xls with Excel etc). Windows records this information in it's association file.

If an association has not been created then Windows offers you a choice (on the off chance that there may be a program that will do the job. Usually there isn't).

Program files off the net usually come in a zipped format. Thus you need an unzipping program to unzip them.

Usually Winzip will work. The PC World disk usually (always?) contains the latest copy of Winzip. If you haven't got the PCWorld disk do a search for Winzip on the Net.