PDA

View Full Version : Sharing email mailbox with 2 PC's

04-04-2002, 03:40 PM
I have 2 PC's networked and I want to be able to not only check my email from both PC's but also see the same inbox and outbox etc files. In other words, how can you share one mail box system over 2 PC's? I forced Outlook Express to do this by altering Registry settings, but although I was looking at the same stuff on both PC's, with them both open I ran into trouble - as I was told would happen, so this doesn't work - any help?

04-04-2002, 05:53 PM
In IE6 I don't see how this would work, but I believe it's possible in Outlook Express 5.5 somehow, simply tell it not to delete the message from server in the Tools - Options menu

05-04-2002, 12:01 AM
In outlook you can choose where your message store is, I can see no reason why you couldn't choose the message store of another computer. Only problem i could see is if both were trying to access the same message store at the same time.
The message store settings are in tools>options>maintanance>storefolder
I have however done this quite well in a home network that used netscape as the email client, i had a large house with many residants, and each PC could access the central store of the netscape identitys. No privacy/security at all, but it worked!

05-04-2002, 11:01 AM
Outlook Express 6 doesn't actually allow you to select a network drive as the store folder. I altered the registry settings replacing the selected local folder name with a network folder name that both PC's had access to and it worked, but not well - ie. couldn't handle messages if two PC's were accessing mailbox at the same time. Not a good idea I think - to go against MS recommendations. Maybe worth me trying Outlook Express 5/5.5? I am now trying it with Eudora 5 and it allows you to do this but doesn't update the mailbox after one PC moves or deletes a file - it seems you have to exit and restart to refresh the second PC. I would have thought it a simple database feature to allow multiple users and show updates?! Eudora seems really 'bitsy' too - Outlook Express is so easy to use, and that's what I'm trying to achieve - simplicity. I might look at Netscape now at your suggestion.
Thanks for your reply's.