PDA

View Full Version : `Fatal Exception' errors/Computer Instability

04-04-2002, 03:12 PM
I guess my computer is what you'd call `unstable'.

When I turn on my computer, I can only use it for about five minutes before I get blue screens saying I have a `fatal exception' or whatever in a certain file or part of my computer bla bla bla. It may say to press any key to attempt to continue, but when I do this, another blue screen comes back again. I keep pressing keys and eventually the computer shuts itself down. Also, Internet Explorer doesn't work. I can dial, but my `home' page doesn't show up, and I'm presented with some sort of `invalid page fault' error or something.

I've tried deleting everything I'd put on just before this all started, but to no avail. I've also tried the ScanDisk thingy and scanning the registry as suggested in Windows Help, but haven't found anything there. The computer won't stay on long enough to do a defrag.

I'm told that the only way out may be to reformat my hard drive. Is this correct? What else can I try? Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

04-04-2002, 03:37 PM
You might first want to check that all the fans are working inside the PC.

I have seen this problem before, where errors don't usually start untill PC has been running for a while, and it is either the CPU fan not going, or not going properly, or the PSU fan is not going. Both lead to high temperatures and this causes the crashes.

04-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Also in regards to the CPU fan it can come a little bit loose so that it is not making good contact. There should be some goo between the heat sink and the CPU, so if you remove the heatsink/fan to inspect it you will probably have to renew the goo. Electricians use a goo when they mount rectifier diodes on heatsinks. If you have trouble getting the goo go to a chemist and buy zinc ointment.

04-04-2002, 08:32 PM
If it's not the fans, a reformat sounds like the best bet. Start backing things up while you can.

You have probably installed and uninstalled so much stuff, that the registry is mucked up, and will take longer to repair, than starting again with a fresh install of your operating system.