PDA

View Full Version : NIC found 'Not Guilty' in shock verdict, hunt resumes for true culprit!

04-04-2002, 12:29 PM
Thanks to encouragement from Wuppo I invested more time in my internet/email lockout problem (who wants to sleep anyway).

First I tried the MS repair function for Outlook. This took quite some time to complete its operation but didn't report any problems.

Next I used System Information to see what happened after closing Outlook when locked up. I found that Outlook exe was apparently still running but closing it didn't restore my connection to the outside world.

While locked up I tried some Ping tests and found that I could ping both my ADSL router and the other computer on my network as well as receive pings. This kinda cleared the NIC as I couldn't see how Ping would work if the NIC was mute. While all this was going on, the other computer had free access to internal and external communications which clears the router & hub and I have confirmed that the hub ports are ok by swapping the working connection over and also trying other ports..

Rebooting restored the external Ping and naturally my email and internet.

So, it appears that I am looking for something that can stop external communications but leave internal working OK. Does that point to Internet Explorer or is IE a separate function from my email communications? I am fairly sure that ZoneAlarm is not responsible because if it was a rogue setting surely it would put up a permanent block.

Now that I've got past NICs & IRQs I'm keen to explore other options.

Jim

No brain, no pain!

04-04-2002, 04:24 PM
ZoneAlarm is known to crash and lock up the outside world. When you crash turn ZA off and see what happens.

04-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Jim,

Another small piece for the puzzle... how about firing up a different email client (e.g. Netscape communicator) to see whether the problem is email orientated or Outlooks fault?

04-04-2002, 10:14 PM
Shutting down ZA doesn't seem to make any difference. I thought once that it did come right when I turned ZA off but since then it hasn't helped. I haven't tried stopping Vsmon (TrueVector) from starting by disabling ZA completely so I might try that. I was told that vsmon stays running even if you turn ZA off once loaded.

At this point I can't see that it would be the email client causing the problem because it stays locked even when Outlook is fully shutdown but I suppose if it stuffed up another function before it was closed it could be. What bugs me is that it will talk to another computer on the network but not access the net yet the gateway is open and waiting!

Jim

04-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Shutting down ZA doesn't seem to make any difference. I thought once that it did come right when I turned ZA off but since then it hasn't helped. I haven't tried stopping Vsmon (TrueVector) from starting by disabling ZA completely so I might try that. I was told that vsmon stays running even if you turn ZA off once loaded.

At this point I can't see that it would be the email client causing the problem because it stays locked even when Outlook is fully shutdown but I suppose if it stuffed up another function before it was closed it could be. What bugs me is that it will talk to another computer on the network but not access the net yet the gateway is open and waiting!

Jim

04-04-2002, 10:18 PM

Jim

05-04-2002, 12:01 PM

Jim