PDA

View Full Version : Display Shakes during set time intervals

04-04-2002, 01:51 AM
At about 11pm every night my computer screen starts shaking. The shaking always has stopped by the time I get back on the computer in the morning, and the monitor is working fine. I was just wondering if there is anyway I can stop this. I think it has to be because the way my monitor is setup but I can not find anywhere to change this setting (?). Any help in stopping it shake during the night would be greatly appreciated.

The monitors just using the standard windows 98 plug and play driver.

04-04-2002, 07:51 AM
Never use the standard driver if you can help it.

You won't have the same amount of settings available, that you could have if you use the correct driver for your monitor.

If you don't have a driver disk for your monitor, then first of all, look at the back of your monitor and establish the make and model No.

Right click an empty part of the desktop/ then left click properties. Goto settings tab/then click on advanced. click on monitor tab, and look for properties or driver, click on that, I,m working from memory here---but you need to update driver, then look through the list of manufacturers for your monitor. if it's not listed, possibly because it is newer than Win98, then you need to try going to your monitor manufacturers website, and try to download the driver.

If it is listed then select and install the correct driver.

This will then give you more options in 'adapter settings' for the refresh rate settings of your monitor.
Choose 'optimum' if it is available, and this should give you more stable and flicker free viewing.

04-04-2002, 11:49 AM
The display will shake for a wee while when doing a degauss(I think it's spelled right). May be it is set to degauss every night at 11pm.

Another possibilty is that the monitor could be affected by the signal that is sent down the powerlines at non-peak times to trigger the hot water cylinder into heating the water.

JM

04-04-2002, 11:58 AM
Hi Martin

I answered a similar question for Susie Boxon a week or so ago. If you don't find any software/hardware explanations, try the options below. Hot water cylinders switch on around 11:00pm so try turning it off at the meter board or the cylinder switch, whichever is most convenient, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, post a reply and a
I'll put up am email address that you can contact me on for further advice as this is usually caused by an electrical wiring fault and it might be a good idea to get it sorted.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

The cause of your problem may well be electromagnetic interference from cables in the wall or other EMF sources.

If the shaking takes the form of a shimmy or wave effect that either affects the whole screen or perhaps just one corner, check your screen refresh rate and if it is set to 60 Hz, increase it to 72 or 85 Hz (or thereabouts according to the options available to you) and see if the problem is less apparent or disappears. Don't worry about screen display changes at this stage as this is only a test and you might be setting in back where it was.

If the problem goes away or the apparent speed of the shaking increases, the cause is an external electromagnetic field. These interference sources often come and go at random and can be caused by any thermostatically controlled appliance (water heater, fridge, deep freeze, oven, airconditioner, dehumidifier etc) as the electrical load switches on and off. If your computer is in a room that backs onto a kitchen or another room with major appliances in it, or is near to the supply to your hot water cylinder these could be good clues. If you don't want to change your screen setings, just turn off any such appliances and see if the shaking stops.

Temporarily moving the computer & screen to another location is also a good way of identifying or eliminating localised interference sources.

If the shaking is 'hard edged' and looks more like a tearing effect then that is likely to be an internal fault. Degaussing won't help as this is just a demagnetising process to remove colour blotches.

Don't overlook the obvious like a loose connection between monitor and computer, but put up a fresh post with more details if the problem persists.

04-04-2002, 03:16 PM
'Never use the standard driver if you can help it.'

depends on whether it detects as 'default monitor' or 'plug and play monitor', in most cases using 'plug and play' will give you better results than using you monitors drivers, but you must make sure your monitor (and cable) are DDC compliant.