PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic IPs become static....

03-04-2002, 10:44 PM
Hey guys,

Just letting you all know I stumbled across this piece of software... thought it might be interesting for those Counterstrike players out there who want to host their own servers, etc... contrary to Jetstart policy, lol!!

It markets itself saying 'DNS2Go is the perfect product for people who are hosting applications and have a dynamically assigned IP address. The DNS2Go service performs reliably behind your pre-configured Firewall or router allowing you to specify a domain name for your WebSite, FTP Server, Email Server, Internet game or other application. '

Check it out at

http://dns2go.deerfield.com/

Let me know if this works, cos I'm thinking of joining jetstart....

Cheers,
Lo.

03-04-2002, 11:01 PM
Ho hum.

You may find your jetstart account gets turned into a nostart account if you want to disregard the conditions that the service is supplied under.

03-04-2002, 11:04 PM
Really? Hmmm... then again Telecom knows all! lol!

Think I'll just forget about it... ;)

06-04-2002, 09:13 PM
dns2go works just fine. you run a client applet and when you connect and at periodic intervals whilst connected your dynamic IP is updated on dns2go's DNS servers. it will also sync your PC clock with time servers. but it *is* against jetstart policy so be careful how you use it. oh, and get a firewall, because now you effectively have a static connection that can be more easily targetted.