PDA

View Full Version : Modem can't find dial tone on first try, and strange RAM

03-04-2002, 09:51 PM
Hi, I am trying to fix my Dad's laptop. It is an Asus A1F. Celeron 750MHz, Windows ME. When I try to connect, the modem cannot find a dial tone. If I unplug the phone line, then click the dial-up icon, and while it is looking for a dial tone, I plug the phone line in, it dials up with no probs?

This works every time, but the modem won't dial up unless I follow this procedure. Any ideas how to fix - It used to work. The comp is still under waranty, so if it is a hardware fault we can take it back.

Secondly, the system supposedly came with 128Mb of RAM. The system only recognises 112??? Any ideas why?

Also the cpu speed is listed at 752MHz not 750 - why is this?

Any help would be appreciated.

G P

03-04-2002, 10:13 PM
Just checked the BIOS - it recognises the full amount of RAM - it is just missing under system properties, and right-click my computer.

Cheers

G P

03-04-2002, 10:14 PM
Hiya

Modem:

I am not familiar with ME, but in W98SE you can set the modem to dial without waiting for the dial tone. (Control Panel/modems/properties/connections). Maybe try de-selecting 'Wait for Dial Tone' or similar?

The ram question:

From the Laptop's specs...

'Features include 128MB PC100 SDRAM (384 max.), 20GB Hard Drive, 24X CD-ROM Drive, integrated Floppy Drive, 13.3' XGA Active Matrix LCD, 16MB Shared Video (64MB max.), '

The 16 MB shared video comes from your system memory, so 128 less 16 = 112 for general processing.

Sorry cant help with the processor speed question, but it may be like engines.. a 997cc engine is often called 1000cc. Someone may offer a more technical answer but I suggest the 752MHZ is the true speed, taking clock speed and multiplier into consideration.

J.

03-04-2002, 10:21 PM
Thankyou Jester.

1. - RAM thankyou, solved.
2. CPU - guessed as much.
3. Modem - tried that, and got no such no. signal. Is there any way to make the modem pause before dialling to allow time for the phone line to open?

G P

03-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Graham,

If you attempt to connect with the plug in - how long is it after trying to connect before you get the 'no dialtone error'?

Can you put a double adaptor into the phone socket, and plug a phone in as well as the modem? If so:

1) Lift the phone to get a dial tone, then attemp to connect. Does the volume of the dial tone in the phone drop significantly when you try to connect? Does the modem detect the dial tone?

03-04-2002, 10:54 PM
No go with the pause idea. If I lift the phone first to get a dial tone, then click connect, the modem recognises the dial tone and dials up no probs. No drop in volume through the phone receiver though.

G P