PDA

View Full Version : Problem

03-04-2002, 12:33 PM
When my computer processes things it makes a noise like raindrops on steel roofing, does anyone know what could be causing this, or how to fix it?

I just got my computer back from my vender, samcor, because my hard drive failed. This noise had only been happening since I got it back. Also my main CD drive won't open, I press the button, it makes a clicking sound then the loading light flashes and it doesn't open. That too has only been happening since I got it back.

Thanks in advance.

03-04-2002, 12:58 PM
If your hard drive had failed, and you have a replacement fitted, I would suspect that your noise is from the new hard drive. There is a huge variance in noise between different brands and even models within a brand of hard disks. See if you can correlate the noise to the hard disk activity led. As far as the CD drive not opening - it may have jammed it transit. Is there a small hole in the front of the drive (about 1mm dia)? If so, straighten a paperclip, and insert into the hole - this should release the drawer and allow you to gently pull it open. If this doesn't work, you may have to remove the drive covers to investigate.

03-04-2002, 01:00 PM
Get in touch with Samcor post haste and discuss.

03-04-2002, 03:35 PM
Thanks wuppo, it seems that the noise has decreased, it must've just been that it was new. I put the paper clip in and it did nothing, I pressed the eject button like five times after that too. A couple of minutes later I went and right clicked on the CD drive in windows explorer and clicked eject (this didn't work before) and the drive ejected. It works when the button is pressed now too.

05-04-2002, 12:29 PM
ask for a seagate or maxtor HDD they are nice and quiet dont accept rubbish