PDA

View Full Version : Apple Display connection to IBM PC

02-04-2002, 09:06 PM
I have the 17inch Apple TFT Flat panel display.Is there any way that it can be connected to my Compaq Presario CPU (1.2 Ghz Athlon with many many ports).The apple display has an ADC connection running into it which carries all the data,almost like a DVI connection (Thats what Apple NZ told me).apple claims that the two are not comaptible.Or is there a way?Please be 'gentle' with your responses considering I am quite a newbie to this forum.Cheers

02-04-2002, 09:36 PM
Sorry Ashar, I doubt that you will be able to connect the Apple display to your PC.

Apple's long standing policy of limiting PC compatibility beyond being forced by demand to offer some degree of data exchange is one of the reasons why the PC has flourished, albeit with flaws, and Apple has languished at the bottom of the market. That and the ridiculous pricing that virtual monopoly of manufacturing and supply channels has encouraged.

Somebody more familiar with the peculiarities of Apple monitor driving technology might offer some hope but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

03-04-2002, 12:59 AM
Some info at these links which might be of interest.

With the ADC connector video as well as power all go through the one cable.

http://www.gefen.com/products/extendit/new_kvm_usb_extenders_switches/dvi_to_adc/index.html

http://www.drbott.com/prod/DVIator.html

03-04-2002, 04:38 PM
Way to go Jim!

I might have guessed there would be some third party adaptors out there but it looks like an expensive process if you need a new video card and the adaptor.

All of which begs the question: How do you get an Apple TFT display without the rest of the Apple?

Billy 8-{)

04-04-2002, 04:35 PM
Mmm, Apple love being proprietary. I recently picked up a Power Mac 6100/66 with a PC compatible monitor. The computer box has only their 'HDI45' connector (the Audio Visual addon card provides a HD15 connector). There is an adaptor cable available, at a price. The computer price was right -- I will use the 350MB disk on another Mac, and it's the monitor I wanted.

Your monitor looks nice: reviewed at: www.utexas.edu/cc/ds/flatpanel/asd17.html , but they remark on the fact that it works only on Power Mac G4 and PowerMac G4 Cube.

It seems there is a way around it --- Apple use the 'ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP' video card, and a transition from the DVI to the ADC connector. That board would presumably work in a PC, and there is a commercial converter -- the 'Dr Bott DVlator' (about $US150) to do the rest. (see saturn.med.nyu.edu/help/flat_monitors.html).

Money, money, money. It's the root of all evil.