PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my CPU fan with a better CPU fan, is it hard?

02-04-2002, 08:21 PM
Hi

Just wondering if I want to replace my CPU fan with a better CPU fan, is it hard? I heard that some fans would not work on some type of motherboards, so could any one give me some tips of replacing or installing a CPU fan... or if possible a set instruction.

I running Win98Se, MS-5187 Mirco ATX V16 mother board.

Thanks alot. Any tips will be really grateful

02-04-2002, 09:13 PM
have a look at what heatsink/fan you have. with some you may have to buy whole new heatsink as well as fan.

things to look for with fans- how does it fit? what size? some mounting types won't let you put a bigger fan on(or adapters) so you will need to try find a replacement sized fan that is faster(or new heatsink).

seriously fast fans draw to much currant and can damage the mobo. so an adapter is needed so you can connect the fan to the main 12v supply. not a big problem.

you really need to have a look at what heatsink you have, what cpu you are trying to cool, what your cpu temps are at the moment and how much cooler you want them.

03-04-2002, 12:29 AM
It's pretty easy to replace/install a new HSF, but if you are worried about it, you probably shouldn't try it.

Instead take your computer in to a computer technician (like me) and have them take a look at it and recommmend an upgrade, where I work our normal charge for assessment and installation is $10 - $20 (+ the cost of the HSF of course).

This price is very reasonable when you consider the price to replace the CPU if you do something wrong.

03-04-2002, 12:14 PM
Hi Jase,

Just a thought but if your looking into getting a bigger and faster fan than your current one have you also considered clocking the CPU to a higher speed? as with a better cooling system you'll be able to increase the usage out of your CPU.

I replaced my intel standard with a Volcano 7 Heatsink & Fan (a really bulky fan) I originally ran into a few probs installing it as it was a little too big and heavy for the motherboard (being side mounted) plus I managed to clock my 733 to 880....but I know I can get it further I just don't want to blow it just yet =P.

Best of luck,

Daniel

03-04-2002, 04:27 PM
Thanks alot, guys. And is it hard to over clock a CPU speed?