PDA

View Full Version : One drive Two drive letters... is it possible?

02-04-2002, 08:20 PM
I have a friend of mine who is using a program that can only save to A: and B:

This program is networked together and allows multiple users to use it. The client to that computer can save to CD-R because the server is sharing the CDRW drive. The letter B: being mapped to the drive.

Is it possible to make the server's CDRW drive have the drive B as well as the normal drive letter?

I tried changing the drive letter but it wouldn't let me select B: at all. Is there any program or utility I can get that can do this?

02-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Usually B drive is reserved for the five and a quarter inch floppy disks.

02-04-2002, 09:40 PM
The B: is actually reserved for another floppy drive not necessarily a 5 1/4' can also be another 3 1/2' drive depending on what connectors you have on your ribbon cable.

My mate just doesn't like saving things to floppy disk especially since one backup from this program fills one floppy disk so he needs to get more. Mapping the drive from the client is the only best way that I could arrange it but that means he would have to use the client computer to do this.

If I can somehow use the B: for the CDRW on the server then it would be a breeze to do backups with this program which only allows A or B drive to be selected.

02-04-2002, 10:36 PM
Create a 'mapped network drive' for the CDRW and you can allocate 'B:' to it. The drive is then available as its origional drive letter and 'B:'

03-04-2002, 10:05 AM
Try the DOS Subst command.
Subst <virtual drive> <path to map>

I.E
subst b: e:

03-04-2002, 07:29 PM
Thanks James it worked.

I wasn't sure if it would stay like that so I created a text file called bdrive.bat

I inserted the lines

subst b: d:\

and included that file into the start up folder.